‘Singh is Kinng’ hires British band, Pritam upsetMay 10th, 2008 - 9:37 am ICT by admin
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, May 10 (IANS) Composer Pritam Chakraborty is upset with the makers of “Singh Is Kinng” that has Akshay Kumar in the lead role for roping in Britain’s popular Bhangra band RDB and American rapper Snoop Dogg to compose a rap-bhangra for it. “Singh Is Kinng”, the tale of a singing dancing sardarji, is produced by Vipul Shah and directed by Anees Bazmi. Akshay is a keen student of Punjabi-style singing and wants RDB to do a full-on sardarji-goes-bananas track. He also wants Snoop Dogg to do his own thing for the bhangra track.
“Yes, I have heard they have recorded a track with RDB and Snoop Dogg. If it is true, it is totally against our contract. They need to get an NOC (no objection certificate) from me, and I’d never give it because I’ve worked very hard on the soundtrack,” Pritam, who is official composer of the film, told IANS.
This isn’t the first occasion when Pritam has faced an unwanted international presence in one of his soundtracks.
“For ‘Bhool Bhulaiyaa’ too I think Akshay wanted to bring in RDB. But I took it as a challenge and composed the ‘Hare krishna hare ram’ track. He loved it and dropped the idea.”
Although Pritam is upset with this development, he sees little chance of rectifying the tilt.
He said: “My first impulse is to fight, but then I love composing for Akshay. He carries my tunes to a different level. Audiences the world over connect with him. Composing a chartbuster for Akshay means you’ve given your song a long shelf life through his superstardom.
On second thoughts, he said: “Let Snoop Dogg and RDB have their moment. The rest of the ‘Singh Is Kinng’ album is mine.”
Akshay gave quite a few hits last year including “Namastey London” and “Welcome” and is trying to consolidate his global success in 2008 and that’s why he has decided to incorporate this song.
“In 2008, Akshay wants to consolidate his overseas market in a big way. His two purported global films this year are Anees Bazmi’s ‘Singh Is Kinng’ and Nikhil Advani’s ‘Chandni Chowk To China’. Akshay is going all out to give a global touch to both the action-musicals,” said a source close to the project.
- RDB's Kuly died of brain tumour - May 24, 2012
- 'Speedy Singh', a treat for bhangra, hip hop lovers (IANS Music Review) - Sep 04, 2011
- Anees Bazmi unfazed by not getting 'Singh Is Kinng' sequel - Jan 15, 2010
- Snoop Dogg dons turban, sherwani for 'Singh is Kinng' - Jul 19, 2008
- Anees Bazmee shoots an all-sardar song Mast Punjabi In Lieu Of Singh Is Kinng - Jan 14, 2010
- John Travolta-Akshay Kumar to dance on stage together - Sep 25, 2010
- Akshay Kumar To Shake A Leg With John Travolta At A Live Event - Sep 21, 2010
- RDB pays tribute to Kuly with special song - Jun 30, 2012
- John Travolta-Akshay Kumar To Dance On Stage Together? - Sep 25, 2010
- Snoop Dogg wants to judge 'American Idol' - Aug 03, 2012
- Singh Is Kinng 2 Ready To Roll, Katrina's Dates Awaited - Jul 03, 2010
- 'Singh Is Kinng 2' ready to roll - Jul 03, 2010
- Hollywood bitten by Bollywood bug? - Sep 25, 2010
- The battle of two comedies: Who will blink first? - Dec 05, 2010
- Snoop Dogg needs weed for inspiration - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: akshay kumar, bhangra, chakraborty, chartbuster, first impulse, first occasion, global success, hare krishna, international presence, keen student, lead role, little chance, objection certificate, rdb, sardarji, second thoughts, shelf life, snoop dogg, subhash k jha, superstardom