Singer Nelly Furtado donating $1 million from Gaddafi bashMarch 1st, 2011 - 10:12 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, March 1 (IANS) Canadian pop star Nelly Furtado, who says she was paid $1 million to perform for Muammar Gaddafi and his family at a hotel in Italy in 2007, is donating the money to charity.According to the New York Times, the Gaddafi clan has been spending as lavishly on entertainers as they have on weapons in recent years.
Beyonce and Usher reportedly performed for Gaddafi’s son Muatassim at this year’s New Year eve party on the Caribbean island of St. Barts.
A year earlier, Seif al-Islam el-Gaddafi, another Gaddafi son, also paid Mariah Carey $1 million to sing just four songs at the New Year bash, the paper said last week.
Though most pop stars have kept quiet about taking huge sums of money from the embattled Libyan leader, Furtado Monday admitted on her Twitter that she pocketed $1 million for entertaining the Gaddafi family in 2007.
On her Twitter account, the Canadian singing star wrote that she gave a private show for the family of the Libyan leader four years ago.
“In 2007, I was paid $1 million by the (Gaddafi) clan to play a 45-minute show for guests at a hotel in Italy,” she said in her tweet message. “I am going to donate this (money).”
A representative of Universal Music, Furtado’s label, confirmed the tweet Monday, according to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC).
Furtado had a baby girl Nevis with her Indian-origin boyfriend DJ Jasper Gahunia in 2003.
- Nelly Furtado to donate $1M paycheck from Qaddafi to charity - Mar 01, 2011
- WikiLeaks cables detail Qaddafi clan's extravagant exploits - Feb 23, 2011
- Usher donates Gaddafi gig money to charity - Mar 06, 2011
- Mariah Carey feels 'horrible and embarrassed' to have sung for Gaddafis - Mar 04, 2011
- Sons want to remove Gaddafi as Libya's leader, favour transition government - Apr 04, 2011
- Gaddafi's son ready to surrender in international court - Oct 27, 2011
- Beyonce donated Gaddafi-linked money to Haiti - Mar 03, 2011
- Gaddafi's son Seif al-Islam held: Report - Oct 21, 2011
- France, Egypt send planes to Libya to evacuate people - Feb 22, 2011
- Libya releases 37 militant Islamists - Sep 01, 2010
- Tony Blair tried to get Saif Gaddafi place at Oxford - Dec 01, 2011
- Gaddafi's $25 mn Italian hotel complex seized - May 17, 2012
- Gaddafi's son vows to avenge father's death - Oct 23, 2011
- LSE head resigns over financial links with Gaddafi regime - Mar 04, 2011
- Gaddafi stashed away $2 bn in Canadian banks - Mar 01, 2011
Tags: canadian broadcasting corporation, canadian pop star, caribbean island, dj jasper gahunia, hotel in italy, indian origin, libyan leader, muammar gaddafi, nelly furtado, new year bash, new year eve, new year eve party, new york times, pop stars, private show, st barts, toronto march, tweet, twitter, universal music