Singer Etta James diesJanuary 21st, 2012 - 12:26 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
Los Angeles, Jan 20 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Singer Etta James has died at the age of 73 years. The well known singer of the hit song ‘At Last’ breathed her last after succumbing to leukemia. The news of her death was confirmed by her manager Lupe De Leon.
Leon told the CNN that, “This is a tremendous loss for the family, her friends and fans around the world. She was a true original who could sing it all – her music defied category. I worked with Etta for over 30 years. She was my friend and I will miss her always.”
She had been suffering from leukemia since a long time and thus was also forced to cut short her public engagements to a large extent in the last few years. In January 2010 she was diagnosed with with a blood infection, Alzheimer’s disease and other medical issues. In the coming year, she started to suffer from a urinary tract infection and the blood infection sepsis.
“There’s a lot going on in Etta James’s voice. A lot of pain, a lot of life but, most of all, a lot of strength. She can be so raucous and down one song, and then break your heart with her subtlety and finesse the next. As raw as Etta is, there’s a great intelligence and wisdom in her singing,” according to Bonnie Raitt, who was amazed by her voice.
- Singer Etta James passes away - Jan 21, 2012
- Etta James in pretty bad shape, says manager - Dec 25, 2011
- Legendary blues singer Etta James dies at age 73 - Jan 21, 2012
- Singer Etta James hospitalized with blood poisoning - May 14, 2011
- Etta James hospitalised - Dec 26, 2011
- Bonnie Raitt to release new album - Jan 04, 2012
- Singer Etta James rushed back to the hospital - Dec 23, 2011
- Christina Aguilera suffers from a spray tan malfunction - Jan 31, 2012
- Actress Lupe Ontiveros dies - Jul 28, 2012
- Bollywood needs people who can sing anything: Sunidhi Chauhan (Interview) - Apr 04, 2012
- Cher Lloyd Breaks Down "During X Factor" Performance - Oct 03, 2010
- Britney Spears "Hold it Against Me" Out on Tuesday - Jan 08, 2011
- Varied musical genres in sensual 'Jism 2' (IANS Music Review) - Jul 14, 2012
- Sepsis killing more people than AIDS: Experts (Sep 13 is World Sepsis Day) - Sep 12, 2012
- Salman's Being Human to help create bone marrow registry (Movie snippets) - Mar 06, 2011
Tags: blood infection, bonnie raitt, cnn, de leon, etta james, extent, heart, intelligence, leukemia, long time, medical issues, music, public engagements, sepsis, subtlety, urinary tract infection, wisdom