Singer Babul Supriyo clarifies about Kamal Khan Deshdrohi 2May 5th, 2009 - 8:32 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
This is concerning a news item featured in a popular English afternoon daily about Mr. Kamal Khan (famous or in-famous for Deshdrohi) signing me for his forthcoming film Deshdrohi Part-2. In this regard, I wish to clarify that neither have I signed nor have I discussed any specific film with Mr. Khan. While it is true that we met through a common friend, I confirm that we never discussed a film on 26/11 or my role in it simply because I feel what happened on 26/11 is too serious and traumatic an event to be made into a film. Largely speaking, the primary motive of a film is to entertain and while one might subscribe to the idea of making a documentary on it to educate the common man and create awareness in the society about the menace of terrorism, I genuinely believe that sensationalizing it through a film is quite frivolous an idea, Mr. Khan’s artistic liberty notwithstanding.
It is true that today singers and musicians, including myself, are exploring new avenues. We are indeed feeling a little un-inspired having lost our value and indispensability to modern softwares like the Melodyne and the Antares which can perfectly tune any so-called “besura’voice to aptly suit a song and let’s admit that a few super-hits songs sung by complete non-singers in the last two three years have proved that the general audience is not particularly against the idea either. Also, the huge success of a few so called non-star-cast bollywood films in recent times have also proved that our film making has grown beyond the concept of having a huge star playing the ‘hero’ in a film. This new trend has opened new avenues for aspiring actors who are not exactly ambitious about playing the “hero’ in a film.
It is true that in the last two three years I have woken up to my aspiration to act and have been lucky enough to get opportunities to work with directors like Tarun Mazundar and Sandip Ray (son of Satyajit Ray) but I confess that neither is it my bread and butter nor am I in any haste or desperation to do what my heart doesn’t desire. I definitely have nothing to do with Mr. Khan’s film and I confirm that I will never be a part of his film on 26/11 simply because I don’t subscribe to the idea. I am shocked and taken aback by his greed for cheap publicity and though I did not wish to react initially, I had to change my mind seeing the negative reaction it has generated. I understand that my career as an actor is going through it’s kindergarten phase and I am utterly embarrassed to come up with such a statement about NOT doing a film but in regard to the sensitive subject that the film claims to deal with I felt the need to come up with the truth.
Lastly, I humbly state that while I have nothing against Mr. Khan’s decision to make this film or hold any disregard for the other famous singers who may have consented to do the film, I confirm that I am definitely not a part of it and hope that Khan would act more responsibly in the future.
- I am ready for marriage: Priyanka Chopra - Sep 14, 2012
- Singer Anup Ghoshal gets Trinamool ticket - Mar 15, 2011
- Why would I have gone to Mumbai? asks Soumitra Chatterjee (Interview) - May 12, 2012
- Justin Bieber's voice gets software adjustment - Jul 05, 2012
- Bollywood more professional, but sans soul: Annu Kapoor - Apr 17, 2012
- Ajay Devgn's 'Phool Aur Kante' stunt in 'Crackers' (Movie snippets) - Jun 17, 2011
- Wax statue biggest honour: Kareena - Nov 11, 2011
- Shaan turns actor, finds dancing tough - Aug 27, 2012
- Aparna Sen's film to flag off Florence festival - Dec 01, 2010
- Maharashtra minister denies links with Abu Jindal - Jun 26, 2012
- Writers, directors share maximum credit for my success: Aamir - Jul 05, 2011
- Soumitra Chatterjee named for Dada Saheb Phalke award (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Not worried about being overshadowed by 'Housefull 2' cast: Shazahn - Mar 09, 2012
- Want to do dad's 'Caravan' or 'Farz': Tusshar - Jun 28, 2012
- Ray J quiet over Whitney Houston's death - Feb 15, 2012
Tags: antares, artistic liberty, aspiration, aspiring actors, babul supriyo, common man, documentary, forthcoming film, hero, kamal khan, melodyne, motive, mr khan, musicians, new avenues, new trend, news item, sandip, singers, tarun