Singapore Airlines, the worlds best airline for third time in a decadeAugust 12th, 2008 - 12:36 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Aug.12 (ANI): Singapore Airlines has been named the world’’s best airline in the 2008 Airline of the Year awards. Cathay Pacific and Qantas came second and third respectively in the annual survey.
Singapore won the title for the second year in a row and the third time in 10 years. The airline also took out the award for best business class.
Qantas also won the award for best first class lounge, best economy class catering and best airline in Australasia.
The awards, run by UK-based aviation research agency Skytrax, are based on the world’’s largest passenger survey, with 15 million passengers taking part around the world.
The Sydney Morning Herald quoted Skytrax’’s CEO, Edward Plaisted, as saying that the criticism of airlines from within their own regions did not reflect the experiences of global customers.
“The global rating for Qantas is interesting. We do find that many flag-carrier airlines suffer fairly vitriolic levels of reporting in their local regions, and the airline industry remains a business that some areas of the press seem to love to hate.”
“The lounge concept for both product and staff service has been modelled around the finest quality you would expect to find in a five-star hotel or restaurant, and the best part is that the concept is being so well delivered by Qantas,” Plaisted added.
“Business class standards continue to be upgraded by airlines across the world, and Singapore Airlines managed to retain their title amidst this growing level of competition,” Plaisted said.
Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Airways, which recently expanded their Australian routes, climbed into the top 10 for the first time, and was placed tenth. (ANI)
- South Korea's Asiana named World's Best Airline - May 21, 2010
- Cathay Pacific named World's best airline - Apr 06, 2009
- Kingfisher, Finnair voted among best carriers - May 30, 2010
- Finnair adjudged best north European airline for third year - Jul 13, 2012
- Finnair retains its four-star rating by Skytrax - Apr 13, 2012
- Etihad Airways among best three airlines in world: Report - Jun 09, 2010
- Etihad wins airline of the year award - Sep 27, 2011
- Etihad Airways bags best airline award - Jan 13, 2012
- Hong Kong airline to replace 'fixed-back shell' economy seats after complaints - Oct 13, 2010
- Etihad Airways to launch flights to Ahmedabad - May 29, 2012
- Qatar Airways declared official airline partner for Indian Business Leaders Summit and Golf Tourname - Oct 06, 2010
- Finnair bags the award for best customer satisfaction - Jun 25, 2011
- Qantas awarded for 'best cellars in the sky' - Feb 08, 2011
- Qantas A380 Flight Service Returns To Normalcy - Nov 27, 2010
- Air Canada voted 'Best in North America' - May 21, 2010
Tags: 10 years, abu dhabi, airline industry, aviation research, best business class, cathay pacific, economy class, first class, flag carrier, global customers, morning herald, passenger survey, plaisted, qantas, singapore airlines, skytrax, staff service, star hotel, sydney morning herald, third time