Simon Cowell confesses being too tough on kid contestants in talent showJune 17th, 2009 - 2:39 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 17 (ANI): Britain’s Got Talent judge Simon Cowell has confessed he was too tough on child contestants in this year’s show.
The talent show chief said he “went too far” with his remarks that left some young competitors weeping for some time and sparked a string of complaints to Ofcom.
But the 49-year-old said he did give singing sensation Susan Boyle the option of walking out from the show, following her struggle to cope up with the growing pressure to perform in the finals.
“You can’t predict how things are going to escalate and how well that person can cope [with fame],” The Daily Express quoted Cowell as telling GMTV.
“By the time we did the semi-finals, it went ballistic. Everyone’s writing about her [Boyle], she’s in the spotlight and she found it difficult to cope with.
“And at that point I sat down with her and said, ‘Look, if this is getting too much for you, you don’t have to go into the final, no one’s going to force you - you do whatever you want, whatever suits you.’ And she looked me in the eye and said, ‘No, I want to win this competition, I want to give it a go’,” he added.
Susan turned into an overnight celebrity after her audition song gathered more than 100 million hits on popular video sharing website You Tube.
The 48-year-old, who was the red-hot favourite to win the competition, spent 4 days in a rehab after suffering exhaustion and defeat in the finals.
Cowell, who has inked a deal worth 5 million pounds with Susan to record her debut album, insisted he even offered to tear her contract if that would make things easier for her.
He explained: “I said to her family, ‘I’ll rip the contract up, you can have the contract back. No one’s going to force her into a recording studio - I’ll do whatever you want, whatever Susan wants’. And we’ve done what she wants us to do.” (ANI)
- Susan Boyle lashes out at Ricky Gervais - Mar 05, 2012
- Susan Boyle to play herself in a musical - Nov 29, 2010
- Simon Cowell hits back at Sir Elton John - Mar 10, 2011
- SuBo to 'star in musical of her own life' - Nov 29, 2010
- Simon Cowell's discovery - Susan Boyle says that she'll worth $24 million next year - Apr 02, 2010
- Susan Boyle's four-letter rant may have cost her Britain's Got Talent trophy - May 31, 2009
- Susan Boyle in awe of her wax double at Madame Tussauds - Apr 20, 2011
- Simon Cowell tenders 'unconditional' support to Susan Boyle - Jun 03, 2009
- Britain's Got Talent bosses may face Ofcom inquiry over Susan Boyle's care - Jun 02, 2009
- Brooke says was axed from Britain's Got Talent for not flirting with Cowell - Aug 24, 2010
- Simon Cowell brands Cheryl Cole 'mad' and 'vain' - Nov 28, 2010
- Susan Boyle chooses paramedic for duet - Aug 15, 2010
- Susan Boyle blames father for lack of romance in her life - Oct 05, 2010
- Susan Boyle on manhunt - Jan 03, 2010
- Paula Abdul and boyfriend Jeff Bratton split - Jan 09, 2012
Tags: 100 million, 5 million, audition, britain s got talent, daily express, debut album, exhaustion, fame, gmtv, overnight celebrity, recording studio, rehab, semi finals, simon cowell, singing sensation, spotlight, struggle, suits, talent show, video sharing website