Simon Cowell accuses Prince Philip of calling him ’sponger’March 26th, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 26 (ANI): Music mogul Simon Cowell has claimed that Prince Philip called him a ’sponger’.
In an interview on The Tonight Show, the US chat show hosted by Jay Leno, the X Factor judge claimed that he was snubbed by the Queen and insulted by the Duke of Edinburgh after appearing at the Royal Variety Show.
“At the end, if you are involved in it, you have to stand around for hours and then say hello,” the Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
“She [the Queen] ignored me and her husband called me a sponger. It was a bit embarrassing. It was a bit awkward,” he added.
However, a spokesman for Buckingham Palace has denied that the Duke had been rude to Cowell.
“The Duke of Edinburgh categorically did not call Mr Cowell a sponger. He has no reason to. He has said he does no know enough about Mr Cowell to make any sort of comment about him,” he said.
“Mr Cowell may have misheard the Duke, he has a very soft voice,” he added.
The spokesman also dismissed Cowell’s claims that he had been cut by the monarch in the after-show line-up.
“The Queen doesn’t ignore people. She has many people to meet after such a show,” he said.
However, Cowell’s claims have been supported by fellow X Factor judge Piers Morgan, who was also present during the exchange in 2007.
In his new book, the former newspaper editor describes hearing the Duke jokingly accuse Cowell of sponging off the contestants on his reality television show.
Morgan said: “I can categorically say it happened. If we all have to trudge off to court, I’m available.” (ANI)
- Charlie Sheen will judge US 'X Factor', jokes Simon Cowell - Mar 04, 2011
- Cheryl offered 10mn pounds for 'American Idol'? - May 25, 2012
- REM's 'The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite' lyrics 'most misheard' - Sep 22, 2010
- Simon Cowell finally joins Twitter - Nov 17, 2011
- Paula Abdul thinks that Simon Cowell is obsessed with her - Feb 09, 2011
- Cheryl Cole, Nicole Scherzinger to be America's 'X Factor' judges? - Sep 26, 2010
- Michael not to judge 'The X Factor' - Dec 18, 2010
- Simon Cowell: 'I think Cheryl Cole misses me' - Jan 25, 2012
- Simon Cowell back on 'Britain's Got Talent' - Dec 09, 2011
- Simon Cowell hits back at Sir Elton John - Mar 10, 2011
- Paul O'Grady, Sharon Osbourne lined up to judge 'Britain's Got Talent' - Oct 11, 2010
- Is Katie Price going to judge X-Factor? - Jan 31, 2011
- Tulisa Contostavlos has a teeth makeover - Aug 11, 2011
- Nicki Minaj says no for 'X Factor' - Mar 25, 2011
- Simon Cowell brokered a secret deal with CNN and Morgan - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: buckingham palace, chat show, duke of edinburgh, jay leno, london, monarch, music mogul, newspaper editor, piers morgan, prince philip, queen, reality television show, royal variety show, simon cowell, soft voice, spokesman, tonight show, trudge, x factor