‘Shudra’ releases Saturday, highlights ills of caste systemApril 13th, 2012 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 13 (IANS) Many filmmakers have moved away from masala movies and made movies on socially relevant issues. The latest to join the list is director Sanjiv Jaiswal with “Shudra: The Rising”, on the ills of the caste system.
The film is releasing Saturday, which marks birth anniversary of B.R. Ambedkar, known for his fight against the caste divide in the country.
“Casteism is poison of the society - it catalyses discrimination, malignity and disparity. Our film has a motive to expose agonies of ancient time to extremists of present age who are still supporting and promoting this poison into the society,” said Jaiswal.
“Our effort will be successful even if few people could take cognizance to it,” he added.
“Shudra - The Rising” is a poignant tale of strenuous rules and regulations imposed on a group of people, who were condemned to sub-human existence. The film features Kirran Sharad, Pravin Baby, Shridhar Dubey and Mahesh Balraj among others.
“‘Shudra’ is heartfelt dedication to warriors like Bhim Rao Ambedkar, Nelson Mandela, Martin Luther King, Jyotiba Phule, Shivaji Maharaj and other unsung heroes, who fought and are still fighting for justice, equality, freedom and respect of the oppressed class,” said Jaiswal, who has also written and produced the film.
This is not the first time that the caste system has been taken up onthe big screen. Directors like Shyam Benegal and Govind Nihalani have made films on the issue.
Jaiswal says his aim is to make younger generation aware of the scourge.
- 'Shudra' a film on evils of the caste system (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Apr 14, 2012
- Mayawati unveils two statues of B. R. Ambedkar on his 54th death anniversary - Dec 06, 2010
- Maharashtra's image sullied like 'Dabangg's Munni': Thackeray - Jan 28, 2011
- Sharad Yadav asks Hazare supporters to be civil - Aug 27, 2011
- Now, a telefilm on Ambedkar's wife - May 22, 2011
- Inheriting injustice: A chilling film on India's Dalits - Jan 12, 2012
- Mayawati woos Muslims, other groups - Dec 17, 2011
- BSP stages protest rallies against petrol price hike - May 31, 2011
- Goutam Buddha University marks Buddha Purnima - May 18, 2011
- Big B praises 'Paan Singh Tomar', calls it true biopic - Mar 04, 2012
- Four of family killed in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 04, 2010
- Two died of poisonous gas from manhole - Apr 19, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Bhim Rao Ambedkar on his 55th death anniversary - Dec 06, 2010
- Nation pays homage to Ambedkar on his 119th birth anniversary - Apr 14, 2010
- Caste discrimination a reality: Punia - Jan 19, 2012
Tags: ancient time, balraj, birth anniversary, caste system, casteism, cognizance, dubey, film features, govind nihalani, human existence, jyotiba phule, malignity, martin luther king, nelson mandela, present age, relevant issues, sanjiv, shivaji maharaj, unsung heroes, younger generation