Shooting in Darjeeling was memorable, says British actorDecember 16th, 2010 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
By Dibyojyoti Baksi
Dubai, Dec 16 (IANS) “The Way Back” was partly shot in India and British actor-musician Jim Sturgess who plays lead role in the true-life soldier story says shooting in Darjeeling was the most memorable experience for him.”It was amazing shooting in Darjeeling. It was one of the most memorable things that happened in the journey,” Sturgess told IANS while walking the red carpet at the ongoing Dubai International Film Festival where the film is being screened.
“There used to be a huge crowd watching us filming there. We also took a ride up to the Darjeeling tea plantations. We were so high up there that the clouds were passing by our shoulder. It was fantastic.”
Inspired by Slavomir Rawicz’s acclaimed novel, “The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom”, the film tells the story of soldiers who escaped from a Siberian gulag in 1940 and made their way to India. It has been directed by six-time Oscar nominated Peter Weir and also stars Colin Farrell.
“It was more than just making a film. It was a lifetime experience. I knew I was in the hands of a great director. After reading the book and the script, I knew that it would be a rich experience,” said Sturgess.
“It’s the story of group of prisoners in Siberia. They had a will to escape and they take an almost impossible trek to freedom,” he added.
The eight-day festival would conclude Dec 19.
- Indians won't like to see me sing and dance: Colin Farrell - Dec 16, 2010
- Controversy over whether 'The Way Back' is true story or fiction - Dec 27, 2010
- 'The Way Back' - an impossible trek turned into a cinematic triumph (IANS Movie Review) - Mar 04, 2011
- Gerard Butler receiving death threats - Sep 14, 2011
- A tale of survival in a North Korean jail (IANS Books) - May 09, 2012
- Bengali movie 'Janala' set to release Feb 25 - Feb 09, 2011
- 'Raaz 3' tells true stories of Bipasha, Vikram - Aug 01, 2012
- Martin Scorcese, Robert DeNiro to reunite after 15 yrs - Dec 14, 2010
- Lovelace biopic not vulgar, says Lohan Lindsay - Jun 21, 2010
- 'The Devil's Double' hits Indian screens Aug 12 - Jul 22, 2011
- 'Men In Black 3' - funny with right emotional tinge (IANS Movie Review) - May 25, 2012
- 'Piranha 3DD' - overdose of the terrible (IANS Movie Review) - Jun 16, 2012
- 'Panchamrutha' - an experiment gone awry (Kannada Movie Review) - Aug 14, 2011
- Bangladeshi 'Guerrilla' a huge draw at Agartala film fest - Dec 26, 2011
- James Franco to star in 'Iceman' - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: baksi, british actor, colin farrell, darjeeling tea, dubai international film festival, gulag, international film festival, jim sturgess, lead role, lifetime experience, memorable experience, peter weir, red carpet, rich experience, siberia, slavomir rawicz, soldier story, tea plantations, true life, way to india