Shocking childbirth film had Mirren vowing never to have kidsNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:45 am ICT by admin
The Queen also blamed her mother for not being ‘born to be a mother’, saying ‘hurtful, bitchy things’ and making it impossible for her to take a boyfriend home.
Mirren, who studied in St Bernard’s High School in Southend, said that she was was about 13 or 14, when she was shown the film, during a trip to a boys school.
“And they sat us all down, boys and girls, all about 13, 14 years old in this horrible school hall. And then this tweed-skirted dykey sort of woman, short cropped hair, comes on and says, ‘I’m Dr Joyce’ or whatever, ‘and what you’re about to see is one of the greatest miracles, the Daily Mail quoted her, as telling Denton.
The actress said that she still remembers the scenes showing a close-up of a woman having a baby.
“And that’s all you see and these are 13-year-old boys and girls who can’t look at each other anyway, and it’s bloody and it’s disgusting. And then occasionally a little subtitle comes up because there’s no soundtrack. It says, ‘Now prepare the rubber sheet,’” she said.
Mirren revealed she was so sickened, that she had covered her face with her hands.
“I swear it traumatised me to this day. I haven’t had children and now I can’t look at anything to do with childbirth. It absolutely disgusts me,” she said.
When asked whether the film was “truly the reason she didn’t have kids,” Mirren replied, “I think it’s a lot to do with it, I think in deep proper psychological terms I was traumatised.” (ANI)
- Mirren learnt French to charm boys - Feb 06, 2011
- Stolen as infant, back as teen: Kashmiri twin's tale (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Stewart bullied for hairy legs - Jun 26, 2012
- Acting on stage as tough as childbirth: Julia Roberts - Mar 04, 2012
- I'm not very stylish, says Dame Helen Mirren - Feb 04, 2011
- Queen has a charming persona: Mirren - Jun 11, 2012
- Young women prefer career, lifestyle to family life - Sep 15, 2011
- Mum takes son to police for one pound theft - Aug 17, 2011
- Helen Mirren shares lesbian kiss, allows to be groped on Saturday Night Live - Apr 11, 2011
- Russell Brand eager to work with Dame Helen Mirren - Jun 10, 2010
- Awareness and empathy can embolden Autistic people (April 2 is World Autism Day) - Apr 01, 2012
- Rihanna turns bad for 'Fast and Furious 6' - May 01, 2012
- Helen Mirren hates romantic movies - Jul 05, 2010
- Knightley felt like superwoman in new ad - Mar 13, 2011
- Polanski demonisation has turned me away from left-wing: Carla Bruni - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: 13 year old boys, actress, australian television, boys and girls, boys school, childbirth, cropped hair, down boys, educational film, having a baby, horrible school, mail, nasty boys, profound effect, psychological terms, rubber sheet, s high school, television interviewer