Shiney Ahuja’s arrest hogs Nepal mediaJune 16th, 2009 - 5:56 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, June 16 (IANS) The news of rising Bollywood star Shiney Ahuja being sent to police custody on the charge of raping his teenaged domestic help has been splashed in the Nepali media, getting more prominence than the upcoming visit of Indian Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon.
Barring the Maoist dailies, Nepal’s major newspapers and the tabloids Tuesday reported the incident as did the sedate official media that generally stays aloof from sensational news.
“Bollywood hero Ahuja arrested”, said the state-run Gorkhapatra daily, Nepal’s oldest newspaper, while its sister publication in English, the Rising Nepal, was more explicit with “Shiney arrested for rape”.
Debutant daily Republica carried the news on its front page, usually devoted to issues of national importance. “Shiney arrested”, it said.
“Nepalis enjoy an intimacy with Indian cinema”, said Sita Ram Agrahari, Gorkhapatra’s chief editor. “Even before the birth of Nepali cinema, Nepalis were interested in Bollywood, the lives of its stars and its music. Films that are popular in India are also popular in Nepal. While we don’t know much about the film industry of our northern neighbour China - barring a few stars of Chinese origin like Jackie Chan, we are well acquainted with Bollywood.
“We decided to address that concern by covering the news of Ahuja’s arrest.”
Though Shiney Ahuja has not shot any film in Nepal or visited the country recently, the republic is familiar with some of the films that catapulted him to fame, like “Gangster” and “Woh Lamhe”, courtesy satellite television.
The star’s predicament also touched a chord in Nepal because it comes on the heels of a recent controversy involving a popular Nepali singer.
Yam Baral, a golden-voiced youth from the tea garden district of Ilam in eastern Nepal, burst on the music scene almost 20 years ago after he won a singing contest on radio.
Now one of the most popular singers as well as playback artistes, Baral was recently dragged into a controversy when a tabloid accused him of unlawfully restraining a domestic help and exploiting her.
It caused the singer to call a press conference where he denied the report, calling it a conspiracy to tarnish his image.
- Judiciary should not target actors blatantly: Arshad Warsi - Mar 31, 2011
- I hope Shiney will be declared innocent: Salman Khan - Mar 31, 2011
- Salman, Farhan speak up for actor Shiney Ahuja (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Shiney Ahuja to appeal against rape sentence in High Court - Mar 31, 2011
- Industry, fans warmer to me than before: Shiney Ahuja (Interview) - Aug 26, 2012
- Shiney Ahuja gets bail from Bombay High Court - Apr 27, 2011
- Shiney Ahuja gets seven years jail in rape case - Mar 30, 2011
- Can 'Indian Idol' Prashant Tamang become Nepali matinee idol? - Nov 10, 2010
- 'Aarakshan' sees different aarakshan in Nepal - Aug 14, 2011
- I wish Shiney all the strength: Farhan Akhtar - Mar 31, 2011
- Micromax Mobile withdraws 'bai' ad, Shiney relieved - Nov 08, 2011
- Jab Angad Hasija Met Shiney Ahuja! - Aug 30, 2010
- Actor Shiney Ahuja appeals against rape sentence in Bombay HC - Apr 19, 2011
- Maid Says Shiney Did Not Rape Her - Sep 09, 2010
- Shiney slaps notice to Micromax on 'Bai' commercial - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: bollywood star, chief editor, chinese origin, domestic help, eastern nepal, film industry, gorkhapatra, hogs, indian cinema, maoist, music films, music scene, northern neighbour, predicament, satellite television, shiney ahuja, singing contest, sister publication, sita ram, tea garden