Sheen praised for bipolar awareness walkApril 18th, 2011 - 9:41 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 18 (IANS) Former “Two and a Half Men” star Charlie Sheen accompanied police officers and several hundred people to raise money for bipolar disorder sufferers.
Bipolar disorder involves periods of elevated or irritable mood (mania), alternating with periods of depression.
The actor marched through Toronto in Canada Friday, Dailystar.co.uk reports.
He asked followers to donate money before joining the charity fundraiser, telling the crowd: “I was called bipolar. You guys, I’m bi-winning right? I’m not sure what the f**k bipolar even means. It’s a psychiatric opinion, which means that to me it’s rooted in judgment.”
Sheen pledged the profits to a Canadian bipolar group whose executive director said he was surprised and honoured by the actor’s gesture.
Kaj Korvela of the Bipolar Affective Disorders told the Los Angeles Times: “Sheen spontaneously decided to do a fundraising walk and deemed us the recipient of the funds. We didn’t know it was coming.”
“It’s totally about awareness, and if Charlie Sheen can bring it to the public’s attention then that’s a good thing. We’re not commenting on Charlie Sheen or whatever he’s dealing with, but he’s decided to raise money for our group and we’re OK with that.”
- Charlie Sheen's walk for bipolar awareness raises thousands - Apr 19, 2011
- Charlie Sheen urges support for bipolar disorder awareness - Apr 17, 2011
- Lindsay Lohan not suffering from bipolar disorder - Aug 03, 2010
- Baldwin concerned about friend Sheen - Apr 06, 2011
- Sheen to organize fundraiser for tornado survivors - May 04, 2011
- When rose-coloured glasses can go too far - Jul 24, 2011
- Sheen donates $25,000 for Alabama tornado relief - Jan 07, 2012
- Sheen creates website for tornado survivors - May 06, 2011
- No more weddings for Sheen - Sep 21, 2011
- Charlie Sheen set for TV comeback - Feb 23, 2012
- Charlie Sheen may feature in 'The Expendables 2' - Nov 03, 2010
- Douglas' kids unaware about Zeta-Jones bipolar struggle - May 11, 2011
- Sheen miffed with 'Two And a Half Men' boss - Apr 30, 2011
- Charlie Sheen attacks critics on web rant - Mar 07, 2011
- Sheen's TV comeback big hit - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: bipolar, bipolar affective disorders, charity fundraiser, charlie sheen, crowd, dailystar, depression, executive director, followers, gesture, irritable mood, judgment, los angeles times, periods, police officers, profits, recipient, toronto, two and a half men, two and a half men star