Sharmila walks the ramp with 92-year-old SEWA artisan (With Images)March 28th, 2010 - 4:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 28 (IANS) Veteran actress and Censor Board chief Sharmila Tagore sashayed down the ramp with 92-year-old SEWA artisan Hansiba Ben to showcase a new collection by the NGO’s Hansiba initiative here.
The brand Hansiba is named after Hansiba Ben. Also giving Sharmila company on the ramp Saturday was Venezuelan Ambassador Milena Santana Ramirez.
Sharmila walked the ramp in a red silk sari with a colourful border, designed by Self Employed Women’s Association (SEWA) artisans and French designer, Graham Hollick, to encourage the new collection - “Ananta - The Flamboyant Stitch”.
“I have kept track of the workings of SEWA since a long time. They have done good work in making Hansiba, a well-known brand. Today, I am wearing a Hansiba sari, not only because I support this initiative but also because it is so pretty and makes me look beautiful,” said Sharmila, 63.
Hansiba, the flagship brand of a prominent Gujarat women’s self-help organisation, belongs to STFC (SEWA Trade Facilitation Centre), a non-profit organisation jointly owned and managed by over 3,200 rural artisans.
Right from the raw materials to the entire supply chain, it is managed by rural women. Hansiba as a fashion brand was launched by more than 15,000 women artisans.
Hansiba has its own stores in Ahmedabad, Delhi and Mumbai and is awaiting one in Bangalore.
- Self-employed women's group to go global - Mar 20, 2010
- Rural womenfolk display their creations at Ahmedabad fashion show - Dec 19, 2009
- Women artisans greet 'impressed' Clinton with 'We shall overcome' (Second Lead) - Jul 18, 2009
- Hansiba: a brand's journey from Gujarat around globe (Feature with images) - Jan 17, 2010
- Hansiba launches environment friendly pr - Jun 26, 2008
- US celebrity Leah Martin to endorse SEWA brand - Oct 19, 2008
- Joy Mitra brings 'Malgudi Days', Sharmila Tagore to ramp - Apr 07, 2011
- Clinton meets women artisans (Lead) - Jul 18, 2009
- Poor Muslim women connect to global fashion with crafts (With Image) - Jun 03, 2012
- Sharmila Tagore to walk for Ashima-Leena at DCW (With Image) - Aug 05, 2012
- Walking the ramp is fun for me: Sharmila Tagore - Aug 09, 2012
- Fair dedicated to women in Madhya Pradesh - Mar 09, 2011
- Six showstoppers for Malini Agarwalla's accessory show - Mar 06, 2012
- Item songs inspired Rohan Arora's footwear line (With Images) - Aug 06, 2012
- 'We shall overcome' in Gujarati greets Clinton (With Clinton meets women artisans) - Jul 18, 2009
Tags: ahmedabad, artisan, artisans, fashion brand, flagship brand, french designer, gujarat, milena, New Delhi, ngo, profit organisation, ramp, raw materials, rural women, santana, sharmila tagore, silk sari, trade facilitation, venezuelan, veteran actress