Shankar Mahadevan is the best Indian composer today: Sonu NigamFebruary 21st, 2009 - 6:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 21 (IANS) Despite the hype about music maestro A.R. Rahman’s Golden Globe win and Oscar nominations, singer Sonu Nigam says Shankar Mahaden of the Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy trio is the best Indian composer today.
“Today the best composer, who sings equally well, is Shankar Mahadevan - his compositions are as beautiful as his singing is,” Sonu said on Zee News’ celebrity chat show “Kahiye Janab”, being aired Saturday.
Sonu admits that most people would say Rahman is the best composer and he too appreciates the maestro’s music.
“Normally, everyone will say A.R. Rahman is the best. The most remarkable thing about him is that he never overdoes things. His voice is sufiana and he never tries to go beyond that. That is the best part about his style. I would say that the composers who sing well should sing themselves, like some of them do,” opined Sonu.
According to the singer, who has lent vocals to hit songs like “Yeh dil deewana” and “Sandese aate hain”, music composers use extremely high scales in songs nowadays.
“These days the composers use such high scales; they won’t compose low pitched music. Recently I recorded a song ‘Do baat pakki’ that was so high pitched that it made me go to my highest scale,” he said.
Sonu, whose short acting career in Bollywood was marked by flops like “Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani”, “Kaash Aap Hamare Hote” and “Love In Nepal”, says an actor can hardly be a singer.
“A singer is a person who sings on stage. In a recording studio, technology can turn a read verse into sung lines. For example, Farhan Akhtar has sung many songs, but I bet even he does not consider himself a singer. Singers are Salamat Ali Khan, Ameer Khan, Ghulam Ali or Mehdi Hassan. In my view even I am not a singer, maybe in the view of others I am,” Sonu said.
- Sonu Nigam gets choosy - Aug 18, 2012
- 'Do nishaniyan' gives 'Jhootha Hi Sahi' soundtrack an edge (IANS Music Review) - Sep 25, 2010
- Instrumental tunes save 'Joker' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Aug 06, 2012
- Bollywood songs to add to your patriotic fervour - Aug 14, 2010
- Singer Chitra set to celebrate three decades in music industry - Jan 28, 2011
- I want to do something different: Sonu Nigam (Interview) - Jul 18, 2010
- Shamir Tandon set to launch anti-piracy song - Apr 25, 2012
- For me, live performance is incomparable to anything: Sonu Niigaam - Nov 01, 2010
- Sonu hopes for 'my' time in coming year (July 30 is Sonu Nigam's birthday) - Jul 29, 2011
- Rahman loses Oscar for '127 Hours' original score - Feb 28, 2011
- For Harshdeep, lyrics are backbone of a song (With Image) - May 15, 2012
- Double loss for Rahman - loses Oscar for original song too - Feb 28, 2011
- Kunal Kohli apes late Vijay Anand's style in 'Uff' - Jun 06, 2012
- Today's songs lack good lyrics: Kavita Krishnamurthy - Jan 18, 2012
- Rahman's 'Sajna' in Michael Bolton' album - May 10, 2011
Tags: aate, ameer khan, celebrity chat, dil deewana, dushman, ghulam ali, golden globe, kahani, love in nepal, mahadevan, mehdi hassan, music composers, music maestro, salamat ali khan, sandese aate hain, shankar ehsaan loy, sonu nigam, studio technology, yeh dil, zee news