Shanghai film festival sees Tibetan film scooping Jury Grand PrixJune 23rd, 2009 - 1:01 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 23 (ANI): The 12th Shanghai International Film Festival (SIFF) saw Tibetan director Pema Tseden’s movie ‘The Search’ bagging the Jury Grand Prix.
The film follows a director’s search for a leading actor for his drama set in picturesque Tibet.
The festival, which ended on Sunday, also saw Christina Yao’s ‘Empire of Silver’, a mainland-Hong Kong-Taiwan co-production about a young heir to a giant banking empire in 1899, scooping the Jury Award.
A comedy titled ‘Original’, jointly produced by Danish and Swedish filmmakers, took the Golden Goblet Award.
Directed by Antonio Tublen and Alexander Brondsted, the film tells the story of a man who gets tired of living up to others’ expectations, and tries to chart his own course.
According to Jury leader Danny Boyle, the film was “a light, touching and subversive study of mental illness that is both compassionate and never sentimental.”
The film’s leading actor Sverrir Gudnason was also named Best Actor, reports the China Daily.
“I feel so good. This is the best thing that anybody has given to me and will keep me going,” he said. (ANI)
- Third Tibet film fest kicks off Saturday - Oct 27, 2011
- Turkish film wins top prize in Shanghai film fest - Jun 20, 2011
- Indian film 'Gattu' wins special mention at 62nd Berlinale - Feb 19, 2012
- Two awards for 'BA Pass' at Osian's film fest - Aug 05, 2012
- Spanish film wins international film festival in Czech - Jul 11, 2010
- Shimla to host film fest from March 18 - Mar 12, 2011
- Sarika in Mumbai film fest's international jury - Oct 01, 2011
- Robert De Niro to head jury at this year's Cannes Film Festival - Jan 07, 2011
- Locarno-Open Doors to highlight Indian films - Jul 18, 2011
- Kerala director to spend IFFI prize money on Oscar promotion - Dec 03, 2011
- Animation filmmaker Gitanjali Rao on Cannes' Kodak Award Jury - Apr 30, 2011
- Locarno, where independent Indian filmmakers rise and shine - Aug 09, 2011
- Columbian film 'Porfirio' wins Golden Peacock at IFFI - Dec 03, 2011
- French film 'My Little Princes' sweeps MAMI awards - Oct 21, 2011
- 'Greater Elephant' receives best jury award at SAIFF - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: best actor, china daily, co production, empire of silver, filmmakers, golden goblet, grand prix, heir, hong kong taiwan, international film festival, june 23, jury award, mainland, mental illness, New Delhi, shanghai film, shanghai international film festival, siff, tibet, yao