Shammi aunty turns 80 with a grand bashApril 27th, 2009 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, April 27 (IANS) The ‘youngest’ at heart actress in Bollywood Shammi aunty turned 80 with a grand bash attended by the big wigs like Yash Chopra, Jaya Bachchan along with son Abhishek and daughter-in-law Aishwarya Rai and Waheeda Rehman.
The party was thrown by her son Iqbal Rizvi Saturday at China Garden restaurant here and the senior actress was overwhelmed.
“I’m lucky to have a son who looks after me so well. Iqbal arranged the party and made sure all the guests were well looked after. I think I’ve had a full life. Now maybe just a few more years and then bye bye,” said the actress who completed 80 years Sunday.
The guest list at the birthday party held at China Garden read like the who’s who of the film industry. Everyone from Yash Chopra to Vidya Balan made an appearance to wish the actress who has been actively a part of the film industry for more than 60 years.
The Bachchans - Jaya, who is one of Shammi’s closest friends, Abhishek who on the way to the party described Shammi as “my oldest friend” and Aishwarya were among the first to arrive.
Of course, Shammi Aunty’s best friend Asha Parekh was bustling around playing the hostess to the hilt and so was another dear friend Waheeda Rehman.
Hiroo Johar represented her filmmaker son Karan Johar.
Nargis and Sunil Dutt’s daughters - Namrata and Priya Dutt with their respective spouses also showed up.
“I guess last night was the culmination of all the goodwill I’ve generated over the years. Sixty years in the industry have just flown by. I’ve made some good friends. Nargis was one of my closest friends. Today, I’m equally fond of Nargis and (Sunil) Dutt Saab’s three children,” she said.
But the biggest surprise of the evening was the appearance of the ailing veteran actor Pran who limped in supported by a walker and said, “How could I miss this occasion?”
“I guess I’m friends with everyone because I’ve no ego about visiting people or reaching out to them whenever I feel like. Waheeda, Asha, Jaya and I have been friends for years. I worked with Hema Malini. Today, I’m working with her a daughter Esha in a film that I think is called ‘Ghost Ghost Na Raha’… can’t be sure because they’ve changed the title twice,” she said.
Shammi’s first film as a solo heroine was “Malhar”, produced by playback singer Mukesh. The film didn’t do well at the box office. Later she got a role in Dilip Kumar starrer “Sangdil” and after that there was no looking back for the actress who symbolised the modern woman on screen.
She also worked on television and was seen in hit series like “Dekh Bhai Dekh”, “Shriman Shrimati” and “Kabhi Yeh Kabhi Woh”. Right now she is is doing a serial titled “Ghar Ek Sapna”.
“And that’s enough work for me at this age,” she said.
- Shammi Aunty Turns 80 With A Grand Bash - Apr 27, 2009
- At 83, Shammi Aunty frail, hard of hearing, but invincible - Aug 29, 2012
- Nanda Makes A Rare Public Appearance - Feb 20, 2010
- Bollywood wishes Jaya on turning 63, Big B thanks them - Apr 09, 2011
- Yesteryears actress Nanda makes rare appearance - Feb 20, 2010
- Shammi Kapoor was like a mentor to me: Asha Parekh - Aug 17, 2011
- Dilip, Saira give hand impression for Riteish's museum - Feb 02, 2012
- Website to celebrate 100 years of Indian Cinema - Jul 12, 2012
- Happy 40th birthday KJo, with love, luck: B-Town - May 25, 2012
- KJo's 40th birthday bash a black and white affair - May 26, 2012
- I am far removed from worldly matters: Lata - Sep 29, 2011
- Riteish gets handprints from 25 stars for Legends Walk - Dec 22, 2011
- Hot Yoga reverses Sudhir Mishra's aging process - Mar 30, 2012
- Johar recalls 'Kuch Kuch Hota Hai' premiere (Movie Snippets) - Oct 16, 2011
- Shah Rukh film shoot rekindles Kashmir magic - Aug 28, 2012
Tags: abhishek, aishwarya rai, asha parekh, aunty, china garden restaurant, few more years, film industry, hiroo, jaya bachchan, johar, namrata, nargis, pran, rizvi, subhash k jha, sunil dutt, veteran actor, vidya balan, waheeda rehman, yash chopra