Shakira to speed up release of hostages with concertJuly 19th, 2008 - 6:47 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, July 19 (ANI): Colombian singer songwriter Shakira will be taking part in a concert at her native country in a bid to pressurize a Colombian rebel group into releasing their hostages.
The concert, which will be held on Sunday (20Jul08), is part of the ongoing fight to free hostages, Contactmusic reported.
Shakira met up with Ingrid Betancourt, who is a former Colombian presidential candidate and a recently released FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) captive, on Wednesday (16Jul08), to raise awareness of her plight.
Shakira will join Colombian pop star Carlos Vives for the Independence Day concert.
The event is aimed at pressuring FARC, which is recognised as a terrorist group by the Colombian government, to release its estimated 700 prisoners. (ANI)
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- Colombian boy walks 70 km to seek father's release - Jul 04, 2010
- Colombian guerrilla who guarded Betancourt surrenders - Sep 15, 2009
- Colombia's Ingrid Betancourt seeks divorce - Mar 17, 2009
- Colombian hostages' families want Betancourt to represent them - Dec 01, 2008
- Colombians abducted 10 years back may be alive: Official - Sep 08, 2009
- Colombia extradites captured rebel, 9 others to US - Sep 20, 2009
- Colombian rebels to free six hostages - Jan 31, 2009
- No cease fire during talks with FARC: Colombian president - Sep 08, 2012
- Colombian rebels free last foreign hostage - Mar 19, 2009
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
- Colombia's FARC rebels release four hostages - Feb 02, 2009
- Top Colombian rebel commander killed - Nov 05, 2011
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- Colombian rebels to release long-held captive - Apr 17, 2009
Tags: armed forces, carlos vives, colombian government, colombian singer, farc, free hostages, independence day, ingrid betancourt, plight, pop star, presidential candidate, prisoners, rebel group, release of hostages, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, shakira, singer songwriter, terrorist group