Shakira lays foundation of Colombian schoolApril 13th, 2011 - 2:10 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 13 (IANS) Pop singer Shakira laid the first brick of a new school construction project in conjunction with her education charity in Colombia.
Dailystar.co.uk reports that Shakira was photographed carrying concrete slabs and helping fix them in place to mark the beginning of construction on the Cartegena de Indias school.
The institution is being funded by her Barefoot Foundation and will eventually accommodate 1,500 students.
“We are very happy to be laying the first bricks of a school being built by the Barefoot Foundation in Cartagena,” Shakira said.
“I want to thank so many people, but especially the mayor’s office because I think this is a very high risk area…and it is an area that a lot of other governments would have simply thrown into the waste basket,” she added.
- Shakira wants to use her voice to help others - May 01, 2011
- Shakira donates $400,900 to rebuild Haiti school - Apr 02, 2011
- Shakira up for charity award - Mar 05, 2012
- Shakira to receive Harvard honour - Feb 17, 2011
- Shakira announces alliance for poor kids' education - Apr 14, 2012
- Shakira receives star on Walk Of Fame - Nov 09, 2011
- Pop star Shakira visits Haiti - Apr 13, 2010
- Shakira Visits Haiti - Apr 13, 2010
- Gaga releasing charity stationery - Aug 31, 2012
- Colombian Pop Star, Shakira To Build School In Haiti - Apr 13, 2010
- Shakira's Homage To Haiti - Apr 13, 2010
- Shakira raises money to build schools - Nov 27, 2010
- Shakira visits quake-ravaged Haiti for school plans - Apr 12, 2010
- Jackson's hand, signature imprint up for grabs - Jan 29, 2011
- Hollywood celebrites donating shoes for charity - Apr 23, 2011
Tags: bricks, cartegena, colombia, colombian school, concrete slabs, conjunction, construction project, dailystar, education charity, first brick, governments, high risk, london, new school construction, pop singer, risk area, shakira, waste basket