Shahid’s role in ‘Paathshaala’ different from Aamir’s ‘Taare..’: Ahmed KhanNovember 17th, 2008 - 9:17 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 17 (IANS) Shahid Kapur’s role as teacher in upcoming film “Paathshaala” is very different from Aamir Khan’s in “Taare Zameen Par”, says choreographer-turned-producer Ahmed Khan.”There is no similarity between Shahid’s role in the film and Aamir’s character in ‘Taare Zameen Par’. In his film, Aamir was dealing with one child who was dyslexic, but Shahid deals with many kids and basically with the whole education system in ‘Paathshaala’,” Khan told IANS.
“Paathshaala”, directed by Milind Ukey, is Khan’s production debut and revolves around a group of troubled young students. And Shahid has not charged any fee.
“Shahid and I are very good friends. We share a great rapport. When I told him about the film, he said he wanted to be a part of it even though the role wasn’t long enough. He treats my wife like his sister; so as a goodwill gesture he decided not to charge any money for the role,” Khan said.
Along with Shahid, the film also stars Nana Patekar and Ayesha Takia in pivotal roles. Child actors Swini Khara, Dwij Yadav, Ali Haji and “Balika Vadhu” star Avika Gor are also part of the cast.
“Paathshaala” is primarily a children’s film, said Khan, adding that working with children was a great experience.
“Shooting with these kids was not difficult at all since they are natural actors and thorough professionals. Shooting with them was a great experience as I never thought that children could be such serious actors,” said Khan, who was in the capital for the Nickelodeon channel’s “Nick Toon Jockey Hunt”.
Khan, known for his choreography in films like “Rangeela”, “Ghulam”, “Taal”, “Salaam Namaste” and “Jab We Met”, has tried his hand at direction as well. He wielded the megaphone for “Lakeer” and “Fool N Final”, but both the ventures bombed.
However, he is optimistic about “Paathshaala”, saying it is “very appealing”.
“‘Paathshaala’ will touch everyone who has children and even those who don’t. It is a film that deals with a grave issue and I’m sure people will relate to it. It is very appealing,” he said.
Khan has been keeping really busy these days. Apart from producing “Paathshaala”, he has also choreographed songs for the much talked about Aamir Khan-starrer “Ghajini”.
“I enjoyed doing the choreography for the song ‘Guzarish’. It was done in the exotic locales of Namibia. Another song that required Aamir to do totally western steps is my best work ever. The song is great and I’m sure it will be highly appreciated,” Khan said.
Khan is teaming up with Aamir and music director A.R. Rehman after 13 years in “Ghajini”. The last film they worked together was “Rangeela”.
- AHMED KHAN - A CHOREOGRAPHER PAR EXCELLENCE - Sep 06, 2010
- 'Paathshaala' is about the education system: Director (With Images) - Apr 06, 2010
- I haven't done 'Paathshaala' for commercial reasons: Shahid - Apr 12, 2010
- Sanjay Suri back with film on stifled childhood - Apr 28, 2012
- Rare diseases are now highlighted by Indian cinema - Apr 10, 2012
- Aamir, Prasoon Joshi making 50 shorts on malnutrition - May 07, 2012
- My movies should be a win-win for everyone: Aamir Khan - Aug 07, 2010
- Lot to be done to address malnutrition: Aamir Khan - Nov 30, 2011
- Shahid Kapoor plays Santa to Ahmad Khans' sons - Nov 10, 2009
- Why did Ahmed Khan choose Ranbir over Shahid? - Apr 08, 2012
- Aamir's TV show delays 'Talaash' release - Mar 14, 2012
- Aamir thanks Akshat, Abhinay for 'Delhi Belly' success - Jul 07, 2011
- Aamir regards uncle Nasir Hussain as guru - Sep 05, 2010
- Macro view of Indian education system in 'Paathshaala' (IANS Preview) - Apr 12, 2010
- Aamir is a dream producer: Kiran Rao - Jan 21, 2011