Shah Rukh may watch Bollywood musical in MalaysiaMay 5th, 2009 - 12:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, May 5 (IANS) Leading Indian choreographer Vaibhavi Merchant’s semi-autobiographical musical “The Merchants of Bollywood” is set to be staged here in July and she hopes to get superstar Shah Rukh Khan to attend the gala.
“I am very excited to see it being staged here in Malaysia. Perhaps I can try pulling Shah Rukh from his busy schedule to come and see the show in Kuala Lumpur,” said Vaibhavi, who is here to promote the musical, The Star newspaper said Tuesday.
Highly popular in Malaysia, Khan was made a Datuk, a traditional Malaysian knighthood, earlier this year.
Vaibhavi is one of the most sought after choreographers in Bollywood, working with the likes of Amitabh Bachchan, Hrithik Roshan and Shah Rukh.
The 90-minute musical will feature 48 songs including smash hits from Bollywood movies. The cast of 53 will go through 1,200 costume changes and wear 2,500 pieces of Indian jewellery.
The musical showcases the artistry of classical Indian dance moves fused with modern dance genres, funk, disco and hip-hop.
Vaibhavi said despite discouragement from her family that wanted her to stay away from dancing and cinema, she was carrying on the legacy of her grandfather, the late Hiralal, a top choreographer of the 1960s.
She said “Merchants of Bollywood” was close to her heart as 95 percent of the storyline reflected her life story.
“This is not just another project, it is not fictional. This is a part of me, a story that says dreams do come true,” she said.
Kuala Lumpur would be the first Asian stop for the musical that has enthralled audiences in Britain, Spain, Italy and Germany in the last five years.
- Bollywood choreographer to start dance school in Malaysia - Aug 09, 2010
- Shah Rukh Khan in Malaysia to film 'Don' sequel - Feb 14, 2011
- Fan spends $3,300 to meet Shah Rukh Khan - Feb 17, 2011
- Shah Rukh Khan reaches Malaysia to film 'Don' sequel - Feb 14, 2011
- From RK to SRK, Bollywood forever in China - Sep 27, 2011
- Musical 'The Merchants of Bollywood' opens in Malaysia - Jul 14, 2009
- Hrithik shoots 'Just Dance' at Madame Tussauds - May 03, 2011
- Rani wanted only Vaibhavi for 'Aiyya' - Aug 15, 2012
- Ankan Sen's 'Just Dance' to victory - Oct 02, 2011
- Musical on Vaibhavi Merchant's life set for world tour - Jan 21, 2010
- Bollywood choreographers and their weighty issues (With Images) - Jan 22, 2012
- SRK shooting for 'Don' sequel in Malacca - Feb 16, 2011
- 'There can't be another Rakhi Sawant' (movie Snippets) - Dec 20, 2011
- Pony Verma uses crowdsourcing to find assistant - Apr 02, 2012
- SRK's opus likely to be out next year - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: 1960s, amitabh bachchan, artistry, busy schedule, choreographer, choreographers, classical indian dance, costume changes, dance genres, discouragement, funk disco, hrithik roshan, indian jewellery, knighthood, kuala lumpur, merchants of bollywood, modern dance, shah rukh khan, showcases, smash hits