Shabana Invited By the UN In Violence Ridden Kabul To Lecture Against ViolenceJuly 9th, 2009 - 12:19 am ICT by Sampurn Wire
By Subhash K Jha
Shabana will be the main speaker at a global meet on violence against women.
Shabana Azmi left for Afghanistan on Tuesday night on an invitation from the United Nations for a global summit.
Ironically, she was asked to be the main speaker at a summit on violence against women in one of the most violent countries in the world.
Apparently her entire family including her husband Javed Akhtar was concerned about the safety measures in the ravaged region and her visit there.
But has Shabana ever cared
Excited as she packed her suitcase Shabana said before leaving, “Danger is fun. Yes I’m off to Kabul for a United Nations conference on violence against women.”
Having represented India and woman on several international platforms this honor in a country known to repress women is of special importance.
“The subject is Silence Is Violence—End The Abuse Of Women In Afghanistan. It’s supported by a report by the Human Rights wing of the UN and the Human Rights Commission in Kabul.”
Shabana, it was felt, would be the right voice to navigate the summit on this sensitive subject. “The conference will discuss the findings on how women are treated in Afghanistan. We’ll talk about ways to strengthen the capacity of the law enforcements and judicial institutions to curb violence against women.”
Excited as she practiced her speech in her head for Wednesday (8 July) Shabana recalled her earlier visit to Kabul, “I had gone to Kabul as part of a Bollywood delegation headed by Sunil Dutt Saab during President Najibullah’s regime. He hosted a dinner for us where he sang the Mukesh number Mujhhe tumse kuch bhi Na chahiye. Jadoo (Javed Akhtar) joked with him and asked whether he was singing it for the Russians”
Before signing off Shabana made a dig at her lately increased girth. “Hum motey hain to kya dimagwale hain (so what if I’m fat I’ve brains).”
- Shabana addresses global summit on women's abuse in Afghanistan - Jul 11, 2009
- Shabana, Dr No, is a perfectionist: Javed Akhtar - Dec 11, 2011
- Javed-Rahman combination best, says Shabana Azmi - Feb 17, 2012
- Rajya Sabha clears copyright bill, B-Town hails Javed Akhtar - May 18, 2012
- I'm humbled, says Shabana after Padma Bhushan - Jan 25, 2012
- Shabana's jig at 'Love, Breakups, Zindagi' music launch - Sep 09, 2011
- 'Women yet to break through the glass ceiling' - Apr 23, 2012
- Javed Akhtar takes copyright issue to global platform - Jun 17, 2011
- This is a very good time for actors: Shabana Azmi (Interview) - Jul 29, 2010
- Shabana gets cake designed as slum on b'day - Sep 19, 2010
- Tusshar's daring baring act (Movie Snippets) - May 17, 2012
- Women's groups demand passing of quota bill - Jul 29, 2010
- Shabana Azmi learns Punjabi while leg heals - Mar 22, 2010
- Shabana Azmi Learns Punjabi from Wheelchair - Mar 22, 2010
- Happy Birthday Dilip saab, says Bollywood - Dec 11, 2011
Tags: abuse of women, girth, global summit, human rights commission, international platforms, judicial institutions, kabul, kuch bhi, law enforcements, najibullah, russians, safety measures, sensitive subject, shabana azmi, subhash k jha, sunil dutt, united nations conference, violence against women, violent countries, women in afghanistan