Sequels are safe option: Mahesh BhattAugust 10th, 2012 - 1:30 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 10 (IANS) With films like “Jannat 2″, “Murder 2″ and now “Raaz 3″, Vishesh Films seems to have turned into a sequel making machine and Mahesh Bhatt advocates its policy, saying with sequels you are secure.
“A sequel guarantees a safety net with at least 40 percent collection at the box office in comparison to the original film. This happens because the brand has a recall value,” he told IANS.
“Films like ‘Jannat 2′, ‘Murder 2′, ‘Raaz 2′ amongst other have all been successful for us. Today, the only yardstick to measure the response of a film is the box office collection and the opening weekend collection,” he added.
Bhatt agrees sequels provide a “safety net for his investors”, but there is also a flip side to it.
Elaborating, he said: “We will keep making sequels as I want to create a sense of safety for my investors, a safety for the opening weekend. But there is also a flip side of making sequel that it might not meet the people’s expectations,” he said.
After “Jism 2″ their next release is “Raaz 3″. Directed by Vikram Bhatt, it stars Emraan Hashmi, Bipasha Basu and Esha Gupta and focuses on rise and fall of a superstar and the dark side of the film industry.
Bhatt, who wrote “Jism 2″, is happy with the kind of response the erotic thriller has received at the box office.
” ‘Jism 2′ collected Rs 21.25 crore over the weekend and I am predicting that the lifetime business will be around Rs.30 crore irrespective of the negative buzz,” he said and added that a section of people didn’t like the film, but the box office numbers tell a different story. The film cost Rs.7 crore.
“There is a segment of the audience found it very sluggish. People have also said that the content is too mature and doesn’t meet the requirement of fast paced thriller. But if we go by the numbers, I believe no one should not raise finger against us,” he said.
- I would love to work with Aamir: Sunny Leone - Aug 07, 2012
- 'Jism 2' makes Rs.21 crore in opening weekend - Aug 06, 2012
- Mahesh Bhatt upset with Rs.100 crore club trend - Aug 15, 2012
- Bipasha's 'Raaz 3' to uncover with Sunny's 'Jism 2' - Jul 23, 2012
- Shilpa goes gaga over 'Agneepath' (Movie Snippets) - Jan 29, 2012
- Mukesh Bhatt new president of Producers Guild - Sep 17, 2012
- I've said goodbye to direction: Mahesh Bhatt (Interview) - Apr 22, 2012
- Arif Zakaria to play cop in 'Jannat 2' (With Images) - Jan 13, 2012
- 'Raaz 3' was tough for Bipasha - May 04, 2012
- Anubhav Sinha to make erotic film as tribute to Bhatts - Aug 14, 2012
- Bipasha's dubbing woes! (Movie Snippets) - Jul 03, 2012
- I had no fallout with the Bhatts: Bipasha Basu - Aug 30, 2011
- Emraan Hashmi done with sequels - Sep 05, 2012
- 'Jism 2' gets 'A' certificate - Jul 18, 2012
- For Pooja Bhatt, 'Jism 2' director-proof script (Movie Snippets) - Jun 10, 2012
Tags: bipasha basu, box office numbers, crore, different story, emraan hashmi, film industry, flip side, gupta, jism, mumbai, murder 2, negative buzz, paced thriller, rise and fall, safety net, sequel, sequels, superstar, vishesh films, yardstick