Sequel to ‘Wolverine’ announcedMay 6th, 2009 - 12:18 am ICT by IANS
London, May 5 (IANS) Hollywood bosses have announced a sequel to “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” after the mutant movie took a massive $87 million in its opening weekend in the US.
The comic-book prequel slashed its competition at the US box office and despite a mixed critical response, Australian actor Hugh Jackman will reprise his role as the adamantium-clawed mutant Wolverine in a sequel set in Japan, reports contactmusic.com.
The sequel will be based on a samurai and Yakuza storyline form the the original Marvel comic book series, informed Jackman.
“I won’t lie to you, I have been talking to writers. I’m a big fan of the Japanese saga in the comic book. I love the idea of this anarchic character - the outsider - being in this world,” said Jackman.
“I can see it aesthetically, too, full of honour and tradition and customs, and someone who’s really anti all of that, trying to negotiate his way,” he added.
The Japanese storyline hinted at in the closing credits of “X-Men Origins: Wolverine” sees the mutant training in the way of the samurai in a bid to control his primal urges and falling in love with Mariko Yashida, heir to a Yakuza family.
- Hugh Jackman to fight with samurai in 'Wolverine' sequel - May 05, 2009
- 'The Wolverine' to go on floors in October: Jackman - Jul 01, 2011
- Hugh Jackman ordered to have 6,000 calorie diet for new movie - Feb 04, 2011
- Top 10 Hollywood movies India fell for (Flashback 2009) - Dec 19, 2009
- 'X-Men' packs a punch in opening week, earns Rs.14.5 crore - Jun 16, 2011
- Hugh Jackman Backs Out From Avon Man For X-Men Sequel - Aug 20, 2010
- Hugh Jackman not giving up on his second 'Wolverine' movie - Mar 31, 2011
- Free screening of 'Wolverine' in Delhi - Jun 16, 2009
- Hugh Jackman pulls out of girlie role to bulk up for Wolverine - Aug 18, 2010
- 'Wolverine', 'Avatar' sequels 'put on hold' after Japan disaster - Mar 23, 2011
- 'Wolverine' bags Rs.75 mn in opening weekend in India - Jun 22, 2009
- Hugh Jackman 'eating 6,000 calories a day' for new 'Wolverine' film - Feb 04, 2011
- Jackman voted sexiest sci-fi star - Sep 02, 2011
- Halle Berry hopes for 'X-Men' return - May 03, 2009
- Jackman arrives on a helicopter for X-Men promotions - Apr 09, 2009
Tags: actor hugh jackman, adamantium, australian actor, comic book series, critical response, customs, heir, hollywood, honour, hugh jackman, origins, outsider, primal urges, saga, sequel, tradition, us box office, way of the samurai, wolverine, x men