Sean Penn slammed for portrayal of gay martyr Harvey Milk in new filmDecember 18th, 2008 - 5:52 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Dec 18 (ANI): American actor Sean Penn has been slammed for his role of homosexual martyr Harvey Milk in Gus Van Sant’’s biopic Milk, because of his affection for Venezuelan dictator Hugo Chavez and Cuban strongman Raul Castro.
James Kirchick, an American journalist, criticised Penn for his political leanings in this month’’s The Advocate, his stand is that Chavez and Castro are guilty of flagrant human-rights abuses.
Gay rights are human rights, as Milk said, and Penn discredits both when he rationalizes illiberal ideologies as ”anti-imperialist” and rushes to the defence of thugs who posture as victims of the West, the New York Post quoted him as saying.
Penn earned himself the ire of the writer after he lavishly praised both Chavez and Castro in this months issue of The Nation.
Its true, Chavez may not be a good man. But he may well be a great one, Penn had said.
Kirchick’’s story also included a quote from Human Rights Foundation President Thor Halvorssen.
That Sean Penn would be honoured by anyone, let alone the gay community, for having stood by a dictator who put gays into concentration camps is mind-boggling, he wrote.
Penn’’s publicist, Mara Buxbaum, came to the actors aid and stated that the actor had also addressed the issue about gays.
Kirchick’’s commentary about Sean Penn’’s cover story neglects to include that Penn in fact addressed the issue of oppression toward homosexuals in Cuba in his full essay which was printed on the Huffington Post site on December 1, she said.
The Nation printed an adapted excerpt only, but made it clear that the full article was on Huffington. James Kirchick didn”t do his homework, she added. (ANI)
- 'Milk' voted best gay movie of the decade - May 17, 2011
- Sean Penn to receive "Hollywood Humanitarian Award" - Sep 22, 2010
- Ahna O'Reilly's Boyfriend James Franco Is "Gay" On Reel Not In Real - Sep 11, 2010
- Madonna wept watching Penn in 'Milk' - May 05, 2010
- Sean Penn to 'interview Fidel Castro' - Oct 26, 2009
- James Franco Says 'Maybe I'm Just Gay', Makes Fans Exuberant! - Jan 08, 2011
- Maria Conchita Alonso Issues Open Letter To Actor Sean Penn - Mar 30, 2010
- Sean Penn flies to Cuba to interview Fidel Castro - Oct 27, 2009
- Sean Penn to receive lifetime achievement award at Dubai film fest - Nov 24, 2010
- Madonna "cried and cried" watching ex Penn in 'Milk' - May 04, 2010
- Sean Penn a communist: Cuban actress Maria Alonso - Dec 21, 2011
- Sean Penn taking a break from films - Jun 17, 2009
- Audience To Receive A Feast Of Superhero Movies This Summer Like ‘Green Lantern’, ... - Jan 25, 2011
- Jose Benítez blames tap water for increase in gay population - Nov 23, 2011
- Cameron, Penn honoured at Cinema for Peace Gala in Berlin - Feb 17, 2011
Tags: american actor, american journalist, biopic, concentration camps, film new, foundation president, gay community, gus van sant, harvey milk, hugo chavez, human rights abuses, human rights foundation, mara buxbaum, martyr, new york dec, new york post, raul castro, sean penn, strongman, thor halvorssen