Screen legend Deborah Kerr dies at 86November 14th, 2007 - 2:29 am ICT by admin
“She died on Tuesday. Her family was with her at the time. She was an elderly lady and just slipped away,” the Daily Mail quoted her agent Anne Hutton, as saying.
She is survived by her husband of 47 years Peter Viertel.
The actress, who was nominated for Oscar six times, was awarded an honorary Oscar in 1994, made her acting debut in Major Barbara in 1941.
Kerr went on to star with famous actors like Clark Gable in ‘The Hucksters’ in 1947.
However, her all-time best performance is believed to be in ‘From Here to Eternity’, which was released in 1953.
Her other famous films include ‘An Affair To Remember’ opposite Cary Grant and ‘The Sundowners’ in 1960.
In the late sixties, Kerr went on to concentrate more on theatre and television work.
In 1993, she came in the limelight with the release of the romantic movie Sleepless in Seattle that is loosely based on ‘An Affair to Remember’.
“I am almost hysterical at the thought of making people cry with joy 30-odd years after Cary and I did our stuff,’ she said then
“Cary and I certainly knew how to kiss. I think I understand what women see in the movie,” she added.
She was called often the ‘bride’s maid never the bride herself’, since she earned Academy award nominations several times, but never bagged a best actress Oscar. (ANI)
- Deborah Kerr: Remembering The Legend - Aug 16, 2009
- Actress Denise Darcel dies - Jan 10, 2012
- Tony Curtis reveals how he became cool - May 31, 2010
- Miranda Kerr gives birth to baby boy - Jan 08, 2011
- Carey Mulligan wins coveted role of Daisy Buchanan in 'The Great Gatsby' - Nov 17, 2010
- Actress Jackie Burroughs dies at 71 years - Sep 24, 2010
- Kerr cuts on foreign projects for son - Sep 06, 2012
- Meryl Streep wins the Oscar for the Best Lead Actress - Feb 28, 2012
- Intimate exchange that led to 2 royal kisses at Palace's balcony revealed - May 01, 2011
- Gaga marries - in video! - Aug 23, 2012
- Orlando Bloom and Miranda Kerr Pregnant, "Four Months Along" - Aug 20, 2010
- Oscar-Nominated Actress Jill Clayburgh Passes Away At 66 - Nov 06, 2010
- Actress Neva Patterson dies - Dec 17, 2010
- Cary Grant 'enjoyed being called a gay' - Apr 27, 2011
- Naomi Watts reveals how she became a Hollywood power player - Feb 13, 2011
Tags: academy award nominations, actress oscar, affair to remember, anne hutton, best actress, burt lancaster, cary grant, clark gable, deborah kerr, elderly lady, famous actors, from here to eternity, here to eternity, honorary oscar, mail, major barbara, never the bride, screen legend, sleepless in seattle, television work