Scott MacIntyre eliminated from American Idol 8April 10th, 2009 - 8:56 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
On Wednesday, Scott MacIntyre was eliminated and sent home from American Idol after his poor performance of ‘The Search Is Over’, leaving seven finalists in the hit talent shows competition.
The 23-year-old man from Scottsdale, Arizona, who is legally blind, was eliminated after four judges split on whether to use their once-per-season veto power to keep him in the running.
‘This is really tough,’ Simon Cowell, one of the judges, said at the end of the live broadcast before finally declaring: ‘Someone’s got to make a decision here, and I’m going to say it’s the end of the competition. Sorry.’ Cowell called the choice of the song by the rock group Survivor boring and even horrible.
‘American Idol’ pits aspiring singers against each other in a series of competitions that focus on a musical theme each week. It is the most watched TV show in the United States, with more than 24 million viewers per episode broadcast by the Fox network, a unit of News Corp Anoop Desai, 21, and Lil Rounds, 23, were the other bottom-three finishers. Ryan Seacrest, the show’s host, said only 30,000 votes separated MacIntyre and Desai among some 34 million votes cast this week.
The other remaining finalists are Adam Lambert, Danny Gokey, Allison Iraheta, Kris Allen and Matt Giraud.
Past winners of the competition including Kelly Clarkson and several runners-up such as Clay Aiken and Oscar winner Jennifer Hudson have gone on to lucrative music careers as well as in film and on Broadway.
The winner of ‘American Idol”’s eighth season will be announced during a live finale later this spring.
- Anoop Desai and Lil Rounds eliminated from the American Idol - Apr 24, 2009
- Anoop Desai bows out of 'American Idol' - Apr 23, 2009
- American Idol Recap - Apr 16, 2009
- Dreams realized with American Idol - Mar 19, 2009
- April 1, American Idol Results - Apr 02, 2009
- April 29 episode of American Idol was a shocker - Apr 30, 2009
- American Idol: Is Allison Iraheta Jealous Of This Season's Partcipants - Nov 15, 2010
- Underwood highest earning 'American Idol' contestant - Jul 24, 2011
- American Idol Recap! - Mar 23, 2009
- Carlos Santana Comes to American Idol - May 22, 2009
- Why David Cook "Couldn't" Make It - May 27, 2010
- Quentin Tarantino Appears on American Idol - Apr 15, 2009
- Contestant Kris Allen shocks The American Idol - Feb 27, 2009
- It is American Idol time again! The Top 3 - May 08, 2009
- Adam Lambert sang "Feeling Good" for Rat Pack theme for American Idol - Apr 29, 2009
Tags: allison iraheta, anoop, aspiring singers, desai, eighth season, fox network, gokey, jennifer hudson, live broadcast, matt giraud, million viewers, music careers, news corp, oscar winner, rock group, ryan seacrest, simon cowell, veto power, watched tv, winner of american idol