Scot triumphs in British Scrabble championship after 34 years of practice!October 6th, 2008 - 6:16 pm ICT by ANI
London, Oct 6 (ANI): After 34 years of practice, a Scot has finally been crowned British Scrabble champion.
Allan Simmons, of Berwickshire, presented sheering as his winning word in the final of the National Scrabble championships.
The 66-point word secured him victory, a glass bowl and the 1,000 pounds prize money.
“It’’s the peak of one’’s playing career. This is the National Scrabble Championship. It is the one thing people vie for. Winning it is exhilarating. It’’s a good time to retire now, ” the Telegraph quoted him, as saying.
The 51-year-old, who describes himself as “the world’’s only scrabble consultant”, has beaten 27-year-old Craig Beevers, from Stockton-on-Tees, by three games to one in the final showdown in London.
“I have had many more years experience playing than him, and it’’s so hard to get to the final, so I thought I had to go for it, but I think there were points where I was a bit cautious and did not take my chances. At a normal tournament I think I would have been a bit more relaxed,” he said. (ANI)
- Man puts himself up for sale on eBay! - Jun 24, 2012
- Mikki Nicholson spells success in UK Scrabble championship - Nov 01, 2010
- 'Colourful' transsexual wins UK Scrabble championship - Nov 01, 2010
- Novak Djokovic Registers Second Australian Open Title, Beats Andy Murray - Jan 30, 2011
- Scrabble cheat kicked out of tournament - Aug 20, 2012
- Be in Bangalore for music, dance and a game of scrabble - Jan 14, 2011
- Brit man on dance drug dies after downing pint of vodka in 4 seconds - Sep 30, 2010
- It is all done at a breakneck speed - Oct 29, 2011
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Maturity behind improved form, says Samuels - Oct 16, 2011
- Ponting should give up captaincy to rediscover batting form: Blewett - Dec 29, 2010
- Scrabble rules set to change - Apr 06, 2010
- Simmons asks Daredevils to guard against complacency - Apr 18, 2012
- Lahiri enjoys dream start with a 68 at British Open - Jul 20, 2012
- Powell issues warning to Bolt by winning in Hungary - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: allan simmons, beevers, berwickshire, champion, craig, final showdown, glass bowl, good time, london, national scrabble, prize money, scrabble, scrabble championships, stockton on tees, telegraph, three games, triumphs, victory