Scorsese walks out on Marley filmMay 22nd, 2008 - 3:10 pm ICT by admin
London, May 22 (ANI): Martin Scorsese has quit an authorised documentary about Jamaican reggae icon Bob Marley due to scheduling conflicts, and now the film will be helmed by Oscar-winning film-maker Jonathan Demme.
Demme is thrilled that he has got a chance to work with the Marley family on the film, set to be released on 6 February 2010 to mark the 65th anniversary of the musician’s birth.
Bob Marley’s son Ziggy, executive producer of the film, is also happy over Demmes participation.
“His empathy with my father’s body of work and his unique understanding of the musical documentary form makes me confident that this film will be the ultimate celebration of my father’s life,” the BBC quoted him as saying.
Demme described Marley as “one of the greatest human beings of modern times”.
The The Silence of the Lambs maker expressed hope that the film, being produced by Tuff Gong Pictures and Shangri-La Entertainment, would be a “worthy vessel” for Marley’s “spiritual and musical brilliance”.
Marley died of cancer in 1981 at the age of 36. (ANI)
- Bob Marley film to be shown at Berlin fest - Jan 23, 2012
- Now, Jonathan Demme 'pulls out' of Bob Marley documentary - Aug 14, 2009
- Marley's family wins image rights case - Jan 23, 2011
- Biopic on reggae legend Bob Marley - Aug 21, 2010
- Bob Marley 'blacked up with shoe polish in a bid to appear more African' - Dec 05, 2010
- Bob Marley family loses copyright fight with Universal Music Group - Sep 15, 2010
- Ziggy Marley Performs With Daughter Judah On Thanksgiving Day Parade - Nov 27, 2009
- Marley family, Weinstein Co. ironing out movie details - Mar 25, 2008
- George Harrison film a labour of love: Scorsese - May 18, 2010
- Martin Scorsese to film Bob Marley biopic - Feb 09, 2008
- Brazilian supermodel to wed one of Bob Marley's sons - May 14, 2012
- Scorsese pays tribute to George Harrison's Indian connection - Oct 21, 2011
- Bob Dylan turns 70 Tuesday - May 24, 2011
- Scorsese faces lawsuit for delayed project - Aug 24, 2012
- Martin Scorsese wants to make Frank Sinatra's Biopic - May 25, 2010
Tags: 65th anniversary, bbc, bob marley, conflicts, documentary, empathy, executive producer, film london, film maker, human beings, jonathan demme, marley family, martin scorsese, musical brilliance, musician, shangri la, silence of the lambs, tuff gong, worthy vessel, ziggy