Scolari fumes over Robinho non-signingSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 3:19 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept.3 (ANI): Chelsea coach Phil Scolari is fuming that Manchester City beat him to sign Brazilian striker Robinho.
Scolari says that after news of the signing leaked out, he felt angry and let down.
The Chelsea boss saw the Brazil striker as the missing piece in his Blues jigsaw, reports The Sun.
Scolari is bitterly frustrated that his Stamford Bridge outfit did not equal Citys deadline-day bid for the player. The clubs record of paying over-the-odds for less talented players than Robinho has left Scolari mystified at their actions.
Chelsea originally agreed to a fee of 28.4 million pounds for Robinho and both Scolari and the Blues chief executive officer Peter Kenyon made comments to the effect that the deal was done.
But subsequent rows with Real wrecked that agreement and when news of Citys bid emerged there were late calls between Chelseas hierarchy on what to do.
Billionaire owner Roman Abramovich and Kenyon had agreed they would not meet Reals asking price of 32.5 million pounds.
And on Monday evening Robinhos agent, Wagner Ribeiro, assured Chelsea that the player would not sign at Eastlands.
Real would therefore have to sell for a lower fee to Chelsea or keep hold of an unhappy star.
Yet that position changed dramatically as midnight approached and Robinho was told by Real he had to go to Manchester City.
Scolari reportedly made an 11th-hour call to convince Robinho to snub a City move.But, minutes later, the player went for a British record 32.5 million pounds. (ANI)
- AC Milan in talks with Man City to get Robinho - Aug 31, 2010
- Torres 'big club' dig at Liverpool - Feb 01, 2011
- Manchester City's Robinho seeks Santos stay - Aug 06, 2010
- Chelsea set to pip Manchester City to sign Neymar - Mar 21, 2010
- Chelsea hoping to bid for Brazilian soccer star Robinho - Mar 17, 2009
- Robinho comes up with three-point plan to stop Chelsea - Dec 05, 2009
- Robinho ready to quit Manchester City to be world's best player - Oct 27, 2009
- Mancini warns Robinho to earn his place at Man City - Jan 16, 2010
- Barcelona dumps plans to sign Robinho - Dec 22, 2009
- City striker Robinho loaned to Santos for six months - Jan 29, 2010
- Robinho begs Manchester City to let him quit - Jul 30, 2010
- Chelsea joins Manchester City for Milner bid - May 21, 2010
- Manchester City set for 65-mn pounds Ribery swoop - Oct 10, 2009
- Barcelona to sign Robinho on six million-pound loan - Nov 10, 2009
- Robinho decides to quit Manchester City to rejoin Santos - Jan 25, 2010