Scientists dismiss Gwyneth Paltrow’s shampoo cancer link claimsApril 6th, 2009 - 2:21 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 6 (ANI): Gwyneth Paltrow has come under fire from health experts after she warned shampoo could lead to cancer.
The actress said her concerns arose after she read research about what she calls ‘environmental toxins’, which are found in products such as shampoo and lotion.
“A couple of years ago I was asked to give a quote for a book concerning environmental toxins and their effects on our children. While reading up on the subject, I was seized with fear about what the research said,” the Sun quoted Paltrow, as saying.
“Foetuses, infants and toddlers are basically unable to metabolize toxins the way that adults are, and we are constantly filling our environments with chemicals that may or may not be safe.
“The research is troubling; the incidence of diseases in children such as asthma, cancer and autism have shot up exponentially and many children we all know and love have been diagnosed with developmental issues like ADHD,” she added.
However, scientists at Cancer Research UK insist that there is absolutely no evidence to back up the actress’ findings.
And medical chiefs have been quick to wade into the debate, with bacteriologist Professor Hugh Pennington calling her claims ‘rubbish’ and ‘loopy’.
“It’s a load of nonsense. Shampoo is perfectly safe, unless you drink it in large quantities,” he said. (ANI)
- Father's death made Paltrow health conscious - Sep 09, 2012
- Dad's demise brings Diaz, Paltrow closer - May 01, 2012
- Paltrow's family learns French for fun - Apr 06, 2012
- Penelope Cruz backs cancer charity - Jul 21, 2012
- When Paltrow bumped into Gervais, Hudson - Sep 04, 2012
- Beyonce feels blessed with Gwyneth's support - Nov 14, 2011
- Cameron Diaz pens down nutrition book - Jun 13, 2012
- Beyonce takes pregnancy advice from Paltrow - Sep 14, 2011
- Paltrow gets greenfield to edit newsletter - May 20, 2012
- Cheryl Cole strikes up strong friendship with Gwyneth Paltrow - Mar 20, 2011
- Interest in toys predicts autism treatment's effectiveness in toddlers - Mar 23, 2011
- Paltrow's make-up woes - Nov 05, 2011
- US spends billions to treat kids sickened by pollution - May 05, 2011
- Paltrow's beauty secret? Sleep - Oct 22, 2011
- Gwyneth Paltrow Remembers Tom Cruise As “An Amazing Kisser” - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: actress, adhd, asthma, autism, bacteriologist, cancer link, cancer research uk, chemicals, chiefs, environmental toxins, environments, gwyneth paltrow, health experts, infants and toddlers, nonsense, pennington, professor hugh, quantities, rubbish, shampoo