Scarlett Johansson’s directorial debut flopsMay 3rd, 2009 - 11:32 am ICT by ANI
New York, May 3 (ANI): American actress Scarlett Johansson’s first try at being a director has ended in a flop movie.
Johansson, 24, helmed a segment for the upcoming movie “New York, I Love You,” a series of intertwined love stories shot by several auteurs, including Brett Ratner and Natalie Portman.
But unfortunately for Johansson, her segment, starring Kevin Bacon and shot in black and white, was deemed “unwatchable,” sources said.
“It was really bad, so it was cut,” the New York Post quoted an as saying.
But the film’s producer, Emmanuel Benbihy, has revealed that Johansson’s bit ended up in the scrap heap not because it was bad.
“The story did not specifically involve an interpersonal relationship, and it was conceptualised to be filmed in black and white — both of which were extreme departures from the other films,” he said.
“Scarlett presented me with an extremely compelling, albeit unconventional, narrative that appeared as though it would not necessarily conform to the overall approach of the entire collective . . . However, I was very much moved by her vision and I did not want to pass on the opportunity to help her develop it. All that matters to me is the genuine movie language of the author.
“Scarlett and I nonetheless agreed that a final determination of its appropriateness in the context of the other contributions and the overall story would be best made in the editorial process. And after months of editing . . . I had to admit that there were editorial decisions to be made in the interest of serving the overall narrative and composition that resulted in previously filmed scenes and footage not getting used,” Benbihy added. (ANI)
- Johansson's directorial debut dumped - May 03, 2009
- Action, comedy, drama - a summer bonanza for movie-goers - Apr 29, 2012
- Johansson, Penn not together anymore? - Jun 03, 2011
- Scarlett Johansson Needs Her Share Of 'Hubby Time' - Nov 14, 2010
- Johansson offered 13 mn pounds for 'Avengers 2'? - Jul 08, 2012
- Why Damon cried like a baby? - Dec 14, 2011
- Scarlett Johansson wants to explore Black Widow - Apr 18, 2012
- 'Tere Mere Phere' - a mismatched comedy (IANS Movie Review, Rating: * 1/2) - Sep 30, 2011
- Knightley replaces Johansson in song film - May 18, 2012
- Johansson unfazed by her photo on sex store cards - Apr 11, 2012
- Scarlett Johansson set for directorial debut - Dec 17, 2011
- 'Love Lies and Seeta' to release May 4 - Apr 06, 2012
- Johansson shows off New York tattoo - Apr 26, 2012
- Johansson loves the 'Black Widow' - Mar 20, 2012
- Johansson hooked on to Black Widow - May 18, 2012
Tags: american actress, appropriateness, black and white, brett ratner, composition, departures, directorial debut, editorial decisions, emmanuel, films, interpersonal relationship, kevin bacon, love stories, narrative, natalie portman, new york post, scarlett johansson, scrap heap, segment