Scandal in Malaysia after TV actors caught in ‘close proximity’November 1st, 2008 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Nov 1 (IANS) Two popular Malaysian TV actors were caught in “close proximity” in the early hours in an office, triggering a scandal. Norman Hakim, 32, and Memey Suhaiza, 20, were caught in the former’s office Thursday by officials of the Selangor state Islamic Affairs Department, who acted on a tip-off.
The “offence” has attracted the religious law since ‘khalwat’ or close proximity is a crime in Islam.
Hakim has not denied being with Memey, but says it is a “misunderstanding”, The Star newspaper said Saturday.
The incident was reported Friday, but The New Straits Times did not give the names.
Hakim’s marital problems with co-star and wife Abby Abadi has been in the news. The couple has three children.
The marriage is on the rocks and has taken a turn for the worse after the incident.
The officials who raided the office at 3 a.m., said both were fully clothed when arrested. They were brought to the police station for questioning.
The team rushed to the office and knocked on the door but there was no answer.
They were about to break it down when Hakim appeared, an official said.
Memey said she was there to help out Hakim at a meeting. “The others then left and I was alone on the first floor of the office.
When contacted, Hakim did not deny the arrest. However, he insisted that it was a case of misunderstanding, The Star said.
“I was having a meeting with four of my employees at my office. Memey was one of those who attended the meeting,” said Hakim, who is popular for his role in television serial “Gerak Khas”.
He said Memey had been helping him since August after a worker resigned and when he returned to office at 1 a.m., his management staff members had left and Memey was the only one there.
“I soon heard loud noises downstairs and saw the Jais officers outside,” he said.
Hakim’s wife said she was shocked to learn about the incident. “I’ve actually given up on my marriage. My feelings have not been taken into consideration for a long time now,” Abby said.
Memey, when contacted by Malay news portal mStar, said she was not aware that Hakim was in the office at the time.
She only knew he was there when the raid was conducted. “After a meeting that lasted until midnight, Hakim left while a few of the staff and I were still in the office.
“The others then left and I was alone on the first floor of the office,” she said.
Memey said she was afraid to answer the door when she heard someone knocking and called Hakim who appeared half an hour later.
“It was only then that I realised that Jais was conducting a raid and that Hakim was on the second floor,” she added.
- Scandal hastens Malaysian TV actor's divorce - Nov 04, 2008
- Delhi's new mayor out to clean the capital - Apr 28, 2011
- Over 80 Muslims arrested for celebrating Valentine's Day in Malaysia - Feb 16, 2011
- Denied vehicle licence, man takes four hostages in London (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Cyber chatting against Islam, says Malaysian preacher - Feb 08, 2011
- Mamata's nephew arrested for assaulting traffic cop (Lead) - Feb 29, 2012
- Malay Women's body says Islamic raids contravene Quranic injunctions - May 02, 2010
- Man held for taking hostages in London (Second Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- Four people taken hostage in London - Apr 27, 2012
- Mamata's nephew arrested for assaulting cop - Feb 29, 2012
- 'Married' Pakistani held for sex with Indonesian grandmother in Malaysia - Jun 17, 2010
- Bengal minister denies Mamata stormed cop station, CPI-M slams her (Lead) - Nov 09, 2011
- Missing Teen Abbi Obermiller Found In Boyfriend's Attic - Jul 01, 2010
- Missing Ohio Teen Found Concealed In The Attic Of The Apartment Of Her Beau - Jul 03, 2010
- MCD needs improvement, says new Delhi mayor - Apr 22, 2011