Say no to tobaccoMay 30th, 2009 - 7:04 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
If you say “I don’t consume tobacco”, you are wrong. Even though we do not smoke we all are affected by the others who smoke. Hence, we all are equally responsible to propagate total eradication of smoking on the occasion of World No Tobacco Day on May 31st.
The health effects of second hand smoking are as serious as smoking itself. “Once I was with my friends and we were discussing something in a room. Four of them were smoking. It was very claustrophobic for me”, actress Manini De recalls her experience as passive smoker. For all you young guys out there who believe smoking is style statement, VJ Juhi who is no less combination of style and modernity is a non smoker, “It’s really uncomfortable to be among people who smoke. When in a club there are many guys smoking together it start hurting your eyes” she shares.
All my friends who smoke think while you take a puff, what cigarette smoking has given you, nothing but less healthy life. Party animal Amit verma of Hotel Kingston fame confesses, “I do smoke but I want to get rid of it completely. When I don’t have to do anything in parties I smoke, that reaps nothing but makes me lethargic and kills the hunger. In fact I hate the fact that it not only affects me but also my loved one’s who are around”. Gaurav Gera a.k.a Nandu-Bandu admits, “I started smoking with my friends when I was 19 but now I want to get rid of it. My mom also keeps complaining about it. It’s not healthy at all”. Once upon a time Narayani Shastri did get into the habit of smoking but now she has aversion to the smell of it, “I use to smoke so I can understand why people do it but now I keep away from smoking and smokers. I stopped it on my own when I realized that it’s not good for health”.
Will power and one’s inner conscience is above everything but Ratan Rajput a.k.a Lalee from agle janam mohe bitiya hi kijo, persuaded her guruji Surendra Sharma and made him to quit smoking, “Me and my guruji’s daughter were constantly after him. I use to keep check on him on the sets and his daughter kept watch on him at home and finally we succeeded in our mission. It feels great to gift him a good health”.
When whole world is observing 31st may as no tobacco day Ratan is concerned about passive smokers and urges to all who smoke in public “jeeyo aur jeene do (live and let live)”. Amit makes an appeal, “If there is one particular day for no tobacco take it seriously and make it the day when you actually quit smoking”. Narayani who has emerged triumphant insists, “DON’T SMOKE, right now you won’t but after 15 years you will realize how dangerous it is”. Manini De evokes the importance of life, “Marna to sabko hi hai lekin aise kyun maro yaar (everyone has to die but why like this)”.
- Beware! Passive smoking riskier than you think (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- Smoking okay on reel, not in real: B-Town (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- Smoking not allowed on my sets: Vivek Oberoi - May 25, 2012
- I just accept the best options: Narayani Shastri (With Images) - Apr 09, 2012
- High drop-out rate hits Delhi's tobacco cessation centres - Jun 04, 2012
- Poor people are most hard-hit by TB, COPD and tobacco - Nov 06, 2010
- Gemini Ganesan - A starry life that spilled out of screen - Feb 12, 2011
- Uttarakhand is biggest tobacco consumer in north: Survey - Jul 21, 2012
- Harvey Weinstein was almost arrested for smoking in plane bathroom - Mar 08, 2011
- Speaker John Boehner sees no harm in smoking and crying - Feb 01, 2011
- 2-year-old Indonesian boy's addiction to ciggies sparks outrage - May 28, 2010
- China's smoking ban likely to go up in smoke - May 03, 2011
- Russia to ban hookah smoking in public - Nov 10, 2011
- 'Sher pe sawa sher' between Salman and Vivek - May 30, 2012
- I want love and money, says protagonist of TV wedding - May 17, 2011
Tags: aversion, bandu, cigarette smoking, effects of second hand smoking, eradication, guruji, health effects, janam, juhi, kijo, lalee, modernity, nandu, party animal, passive smoker, ratan, second hand smoking, smokers, style statement, young guys