Satyajit Ray’s Goopy is no moreMay 24th, 2010 - 10:08 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 24 (IANS) Veteran Bengali actor Tapen Chattopadhyay, who became a household name among the Bengali speaking population for his performances as Goopy in Satyajit Ray’s Goopy-Bagha series of films, died at his residence Monday following respiratory failure.
Chattopadhyay, 72, shot into the limelight after playing the role of Goopy Gyne in Ray’s classic ‘Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne’ (The Adventures of Goopy and Bagha), which was equally liked by children and adults and became a huge commercial success.
Apart from the Goopy-Bagha series, Chattopadhyay showed his acting prowess in several Bengali box-office hits and was also a powerful stage actor.
- Soon, a film on Satyajit Ray's character Shonku - May 02, 2012
- Singer Anup Ghoshal gets Trinamool ticket - Mar 15, 2011
- Satyajit Ray was a ruthless director, says son Sandip (Interview) - Apr 01, 2012
- Rangan Chakravarty To Revive Stayajit Ray’s 'Gupi Bagha' - Dec 15, 2010
- Celebrities becomes 'giant-killers' in Bengal polls - May 13, 2011
- Celebrities take on Left Front veterans for Trinamool - Apr 26, 2011
- New directors, new ideas power Bengali cinema's resurgence - Feb 19, 2012
- Soumitra Chatterjee named for Dada Saheb Phalke award (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Phalke award is recognition of my 53 years of hard work: Soumitra - Mar 21, 2012
- Disney Channel announces TV premiere of Ray's 'Feluda - The Kathmandu Caper' - Dec 24, 2010
- Tulsi Chakrabarty Was The Best Comedian India Ever Had: Bibhu Bhattacharjee - Dec 20, 2010
- Message from Puja pandal - change cometh in Writers Building! - Oct 13, 2010
- Soumitra Chatterjee named for Dada Saheb Phalke award - Mar 21, 2012
- Now, read about Bengali detective Byomkesh in English (IANS Book Review) - Aug 11, 2012
- Ajay Devgan Planning To Go Behind The Camera Again - Jan 17, 2011