Satyajit Ray Trail project in West Bengal to be priortisedJune 9th, 2010 - 3:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 9 (IANS) The tourism ministry will priortise the Rs.50 crore Satyajit Ray Trail project to develop the sites of his famous films shot in West Bengal as tourist attractions, an official said Wednesday.
Under the project, the West Bengal government has proposed to recreate the scenes of some films shot at different locations with brief descriptions of the script and narration of some important events during the film shooting.
Illumination of the shooting spots, landscaping, a tourist interpretation centre and building accommodation facilities are also part of the proposed project.
Oscar-winning film maker Satyajit Ray rose to international fame for his epoch making movie “Pather Panchali”.
“The movie was partly shot at Boral, about 5 km from southern Kolkata. Many of the locations of his famous films before and after ‘Pather Panchali’ was in the red soil terrain of Birbhum district. Many locations were around Shantiniketan at Bolpur. Boral, however, has now become a victim of urbanisation and most of the sites related to Ray have vanished,” the official said.
The state government is in the process of identifying exact locations where Ray shot his films with the help of one of his erstwhile crew members, Ramesh Sen, and also in consultation with Sandip Ray, the son of the legendary film maker.
“Primarily, it appears that the locations are spread over a vast stretch of Birbhum and partly in neighbouring Burdwan district. Apart from the filming locations, Shantiniketan is already a major draw for both foreign and domestic tourists and authorities may start the trail from Shantiniketan,” the official added.
- On Satyajit Ray's trail in Bengal (Lead) - Jun 09, 2010
- Age-old Technicians Studio to be revamped: Mamata - Sep 30, 2011
- Satyajit Ray's son coming up with Feluda movie - May 02, 2010
- Satyajit Ray retrospective in Dhaka - May 13, 2011
- Satyajit Ray fest to mark 89th birth anniversary - May 01, 2010
- Ban on Satyajit Ray's film 'Sikkim' lifted - Sep 18, 2010
- Satyajit Ray was a ruthless director, says son Sandip (Interview) - Apr 01, 2012
- I love Satyajit Ray films: Brian Cox - Feb 02, 2010
- Bengali cinema going for classy foreign locales - Feb 13, 2011
- Uday Shankar's widow to attend Cannes for 'Kalpana' - May 12, 2012
- Soon, a film on Satyajit Ray's character Shonku - May 02, 2012
- No one in India has Satyajit Ray's 'Sikkim' print: Son - Sep 18, 2010
- Indo-Americans welcome lifting ban on Satyajit Ray's documentary on Sikkim - Sep 20, 2010
- Photos by Satyajit Ray on display at Kolkata filmfest - Nov 12, 2011
- Disney Channel announces TV premiere of Ray's 'Feluda - The Kathmandu Caper' - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: accommodation facilities, boral, brief descriptions, burdwan district, domestic tourists, film maker, important events, international fame, interpretation centre, legendary film, pather panchali, project oscar, proposed project, ray trail, red soil, rs 50, sandip, satyajit ray, tourism ministry, west bengal government