Satyajit Ray fest to mark 89th birth anniversaryMay 1st, 2010 - 8:30 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 1 (IANS) The Taj Enlighten Film Society will celebrate Oscar-winning director Satyajit Ray’s 89th birth anniversary Sunday by showcasing his best works during The Satyajit Ray Festival.
“We are celebrating Satyajit Ray’s 89th birthday. He was the most important and popular face of the real Indian cinema, so it was a natural choice,” society president Pranav Ashar told IANS.
Beginning May 2, the society will screen Ray’s films such as “Agantuk” (The Stranger), “Jalsaghar” (The Music Room) and “Charulata” (The Lonely Wife) every Sunday at Cinemax, Metro Big Cinemas and NCPA. The festival concludes May 16.
“Since we began our film society, we have had many requests to do a Satyajit Ray film festival. We are also planning to extend and enhance the experience of the festival by adding the famous ‘Apu Trilogy’ - ‘Pather Panchali’ (Song of the Little Road), ‘Aparajito’ (The Unvanquished) and ‘Apur Sansar’ (The World of Apu),” said Ashar.
The screenings would be followed by a discussion on Ray’s films by Bhawana Somaaya, ex-editor of Screen, filmmaker Sujoy Ghosh and film academics from across India.
“The discussion will analyse Ray’s films and his take on the audience, the rural and the urban world, aesthetics, Satyajit Ray as a writer, an illustrator, an activist of the film society movement, and Ray as a filmmaker,” said Ashar.
From this year, the society also has plans to start a workshop on Ray’s work.
- Even today Ray remains alive in me: Soumitra Chatterjee (April 23 in Satyajit Ray's 20th death anniversary) - Apr 23, 2012
- Would love to continue for audiences's sake: Soumitra Chatterjee - May 18, 2012
- Satyajit Ray's films to be showcased in New York - Apr 06, 2009
- Mumbai to host Tagore film festival - May 07, 2011
- Congrats Soumitra da, says Big B (Movie Snippets) - Mar 22, 2012
- Satyajit Ray retrospective in Dhaka - May 13, 2011
- Kasaravalli's debut film 'Ghatashradhdha' makes T20 list - Dec 04, 2009
- Satyajit Ray was a ruthless director, says son Sandip (Interview) - Apr 01, 2012
- Dhaka says it with films on Satyajit Ray's death anniversary - Apr 23, 2010
- 'Cinema, literature on a par, building new synergy' - Feb 26, 2012
- '1971 war not aptly projected in Bangladesh' - Nov 12, 2011
- Indo-Americans welcome lifting ban on Satyajit Ray's documentary on Sikkim - Sep 20, 2010
- Satyajit Ray retrospective opens in Dhaka - Apr 23, 2010
- Soumitra Chatterjee named for Dada Saheb Phalke award (Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- Phalke award is recognition of my 53 years of hard work: Soumitra - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: activist, aesthetics, apu trilogy, apur sansar, birth anniversary, choice society, cinemax, film festival, film society, ghosh, illustrator, indian cinema, lonely wife, music room, natural choice, pranav ashar, satyajit ray film, society president, unvanquished, urban world