Saroj Khan to open dance academy in ChandigarhDecember 8th, 2009 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Dec 8 (IANS) Bollywood’s well-known choreographer Saroj Khan is set to start a dance academy here by the end of this month. She may also do a broadway show based on ancient dancer Amrapali with Madhuri Dixit.
“After Mumbai this will be our second dancing academy in the country. I have plans to open 50 such academies throughout the country,” she told reporters here Tuesday.
The dance school is called Saroj Khan Dance Academy and it will come up in Sector 34.
“This academy would satiate the desire of those vying to master the Bollywood dances. During various shows, I have seen inexperienced candidates turning up and making themselves a laughing stock. Our academy would train students in such a way that will standout,” she said.
Khan, who had won three National Awards and eight Filmfare Awards for best choreography, is opening this academy in collaboration with Leo 1 Production India Limited.
“There is no medicine for learning rhythm as it is an inborn quality. I am very enthusiastic about opening an academy in this region as Punjabis are well-known for their exceptional dancing skills throughout the world and they have natural rhythm in their blood,” she said.
Besides Bollywood dancing, the aspirants can also learn classical, folk and western dances from Khan.
Talking about dancing talent in Bollywood, Khan said: “We are not getting good talent in Bollywood. After Madhuri Dixit and Govinda nobody has impressed me so far.”
Khan is also planning to start a broadway show based on ancient dancer Amrapali.
“Amrapali is very famous abroad. Therefore, we are planning to start a broadway show based on her. Our talks are on and if everything goes according to planning then Madhuri Dixit will play the main character, Javed Akhtar will write the lyrics and Feroze Khan will direct it,” said Khan.
- Saroj Khan has no plans to direct dance movie - Nov 29, 2011
- Salsa, Latino edging out Indian classical dances in Bollywood? - Jan 05, 2011
- Dance fever catches on among Indians, thanks to TV - Feb 01, 2011
- I don't enjoy doing films: Terence Lewis - Jan 16, 2012
- Madhuri wants Gene Kelly's tap dancing shoes (Movie Snippets) - Jun 25, 2012
- Shibani Dandekar out of 'Jhalak...' - Aug 25, 2012
- Madhuri Dixit to be immortalised in wax - Jan 05, 2012
- Madhuri's wax statue to be unveiled March 7 - Feb 05, 2012
- Madhuri, Saroj recreate magic on 'Jhalak...' (With Image) - Jan 14, 2011
- Madhuri to launch her official site - Jan 31, 2012
- I want to make Vidya dance, says Saroj Khan - Oct 18, 2010
- Tabu in Kuala Lumpur to support 'The Saroj Khan Dance Academy' - Aug 09, 2010
- Jhalak Dikhla Jaa 4: Madhuri Dixit And Shahrukh Khan The Romantic Bond - Jan 19, 2011
- Dancing to luck in Bollywood: the choreographers (This is the fifth in a series by IANS on Bollywood's behind-the-scenes people) - Apr 27, 2011
- Madhuri Dixit, Remo D’Souza: The Great Dance Maestros To Judge Jhalak Dikhla Jaa - Nov 27, 2010
Tags: amrapali, ancient dancer, broadway show, chandigarh, choreographer, choreography, classical folk, dance academy, dance school, feroze khan, filmfare awards, india limited, laughing stock, madhuri dixit, national awards, natural rhythm, quot, saroj khan, standout, western dances