Sarabjit Singh to meet his family in Lahore jail todayApril 23rd, 2008 - 12:17 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Apr 23 (ANI): Sarabjit Singh, the Indian national on death row in Pakistan for the last 17 years, will meet his family inside Lahores Kot Lakhpat Jail today.
Sarabjit’s daughters Swapandeep and Poonam, his wife Sukhpreet Kaur, his sister Dalbir Kaur and her husband Baldev Singh will enter Pakistan from Wagah border this afternoon.
The inmate had recently sent a special request to authorities in Islamabad to be allowed to meet his younger daughter Poonam whom he has never seen. His older daughter was two-and-a-half years old and the younger one was 23 days old when Sarabjit had accidentally crossed into Pakistan in 1990.
Besides, the family is likely to meet Pakistan Peoples Party ( PPP) Co-chairperson Asif Ali Zardari and former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif.
Sarabjit, who Pakistan claims is Manjit Singh, was sentenced to death in 1991 for his alleged involvement in four bomb blasts that killed 14 people.
His family denies he is a spy as claimed by Pakistan and insists that he accidentally strayed into Pakistani territory. His execution was deferred for 30 days by President Pervez Musharraf last month so that Pakistan’s new government could review his case following an appeal for clemency from India.
Sarabjit has repeatedly reiterated that his was a case of mistaken identity and that he had not committed the crimes he was convicted for.
The Indian High Commission in Pakistan also insists that he is Sarabjit and not Manjit as claimed by the Pakistan Government.
Incidentally, the newly elected Pakistan Government has also been favouring the Sarabjits case. They had in fact asked for commuting of all death sentences to life imprisonment.
Sarabjit was to be hanged on April 1, but was put off till April 30 after India had appealed to the Pakistan Government for clemency.
On Friday, External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee had issued a fresh appeal to Islamabad to grant clemency to Sarabjit on humanitarian grounds. There has not been any official response from Islamabad to Mukherjee’s appeal.
Bharatiya Janata Party leader L K Advani had also sought clemency for Sarabjit.
Sarabjit has been on death row since the Pakistan’s Supreme Court rejected his mercy petition in March 2006. (ANI)
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, bomb blasts, case of mistaken identity, clemency, death sentences, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, former prime minister, indian high commission, indian high commission in pakistan, kot lakhpat, life imprisonment, manjit singh, pakistan government, pakistan peoples party, pakistani territory, pervez musharraf, pranab mukherjee, two and a half years, younger daughter