Sapphire, The Author Of The Award Winning Film ‘Precious’ Sells The Sequel NovelNovember 13th, 2010 - 7:28 pm ICT by Pen Men At Work
November 13, 2010 (Pen Men at Work): Ramona Lofton, better known as Sapphire has now sold her second novel to the Penguin Press reports the New York Observer.
Her first novel titled ‘Push’ had been made into a film and went on to win many awards. The film had been re-titled as ‘Precious’ for the name of the lead character. The Academy Awards came thick and fast for the movie with Mo’Nique winning the best supporting actress Oscar. The Oscar for the best writing went to Geoffrey Fletcher for his screenplay while Newcomer Gabourey Sidibe was nominated in the best actor category. Gabourey Sidibe, who had been a newcomer had also been nominated for the best actress award at the Oscars.
The second book by Sapphire seems to be somewhat like the sequel of ‘Push’. The focus of the novel is on the son of the main character this time and the confusions that ravage his mind are depicted with sensitivity within the novel. The Kid approaches his adulthood, traumatized and brutalized but having the soul of an artist trapped within his body. But does it mean that Precious could not be a successful mother for her son? The question is likely to be answered in the sequel as Sapphire takes her readers through the life of ‘The Kid’.
The first novel, ‘Push’ published in 1996, had ended with Precious, the protagonist being diagnosed with AIDS.
- 'Precious' Author Sapphire Sells Sequel Novel To Penguin - Nov 14, 2010
- 25th Film Independent Spirit Awards Showers Honors On "Precious" - Mar 06, 2010
- 41st NAACP Image Awards: "Precious" A Big Hit - Feb 27, 2010
- "Precious" Movie Releases Today - Nov 06, 2009
- Helen Mirren nominated for best female lead at Independent Spirit Awards - Dec 02, 2009
- Mom of Gabourey Sidibe Auditions For 'America's Got Talent' - Jun 18, 2010
- Mo'Nique wins best supporting actress Oscar - Mar 08, 2010
- Major Winners of the 2010 Oscars, The Hurt Locker sweeps the awards - Mar 08, 2010
- Oscar 2010: The 82nd Annual Academy Award Winners - Mar 08, 2010
- Gabourey Sidibe To Host SNL - Apr 01, 2010
- I am not going to win Oscar: Sandra Bullock - Feb 08, 2010
- Gabourey Sidibe's mom auditions for 'America's Got Talent' - Jun 18, 2010
- 'Precious' wins best adapted screenplay Oscar - Mar 08, 2010
- African American critics hail 'Precious' as best film - Dec 16, 2009
- "Avatar" and "The Hurt Locker" lead 82nd Academy Awards nominations - Feb 03, 2010
Tags: academy awards, actor category, actress award, adulthood, best actor, best actress, best supporting actress, best supporting actress oscar, best writing, confusions, life of the kid, men at work, mo nique, new york observer, newcomer, pen men, penguin press, protagonist, ramona, sequel