Santosh Sivan defends presence in Pusan film fest juryJuly 15th, 2008 - 9:41 am ICT by IANS
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, July 15 (IANS) Filmmaker Santosh Sivan’s selection as a jury member at the prestigious Pusan Film Festival has raised eyebrows as his movie “Tahaan” is also in competition there, but he says the controversy is uncalled for. “I’m on the jury for films by first-time and second-time directors. ‘Tahaan’ has been selected for the main festival that is for the market and for showcasing world cinema,” clarified Sivan.
The festival begins Oct 2.
Sivan plans a big Bollywood release for “Tahaan” in October. And since it’s a film that was shot in Jammu and Kashmir, he wants to premiere it in the valley.
“Shooting this sensitive film in Kashmir was supposed to be dangerous for our unit. But our experience was something else. We shot the film in the easiest of circumstances. And, yes, I’m definitely looking forward to premiering ‘Tahaan’ in Kashmir, though the theatres there are extremely basic,” Sivan told IANS.
The film is about eight-year-old Tahaan (Purav Bhandare) who lives with his grandfather (Victor Banerjee), mother Haba (Sarika) and older sister Zoya (Sana Shaikh) in Kashmir. They all hope that someday Tahaan’s father, who has been missing for over three years, will return.
There are more honours for Sivan - he features in the July issue of the internationally celebrated magazine American Cinematographer. He is being featured in the magazine for the second time.
“The first time I was featured in American Cinematographer, it was when I directed ‘The Terrorist’. Now they’ve featured my film ‘Before The Rains’ and me in a three-page spread. Yes, it’s an honour. I suppose you’ve to be a cinematographer to know what it really means.”
- Santosh Sivan unaware of 'Tahaan' honour in Germany - Jul 24, 2009
- 'Tahaan' sweeps top awards at foreign film fest - Dec 07, 2008
- Sivan first South Asian to get ASC membership - Apr 28, 2012
- Santosh Sivan's 'Tahaan' all set for Rome film fest - Oct 21, 2008
- National award winning children's film set for legal tangle - Sep 16, 2010
- Sarika in Mumbai film fest's international jury - Oct 01, 2011
- Genelia-Prithviraj Finalized For Santhosh Sivan Film - Jul 06, 2010
- Starry ending to Mumbai International Children's Film Festival - Nov 14, 2009
- 'Tahaan' - poetic portrayal of life in Kashmir amidst strife (Film Review) - Sep 06, 2008
- More trouble for Sivans - Sep 29, 2010
- 4th Bengaluru film fest will pay tribute to Dev Anand - Dec 07, 2011
- Kutty Srank To Hit Theaters On July 23 - Jun 09, 2010
- 'Tahaan' star Purav now in Irish director's film - Oct 24, 2008
- 'Paan Singh Tomar' to be premiered at Abu Dhabi film fest - Sep 27, 2010
- Bollywood flick ''Tahaan'' releases across the country - Sep 06, 2008
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,