Sanjay Bhansali’s opera ‘Padmavati’ wows ParisMarch 16th, 2008 - 5:34 pm ICT by admin
By Subhash K. Jha
Mumbai, March 16 (IANS) India scored a creative victory Friday at the posh Theatre du Chatelet in Paris when Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s adaptation of Albert Rousell’s opera “Padmavati” was staged to a sold-out audience. Fires raged on the stage, elephants ambled through the panoramic scenario, women in gorgeous “ghagra-choli” (traditional skirts and blouse) swirled and twirled on the stage as the Rajasthani heroine Padmavati fought with valour for love, clan honour and pride. At the end of the two-hour majestic show, the audience gave the director a standing ovation for full 15 minutes.
“You can call it a strange home-coming for me,” the emotionally charged director said moments after the first triumphant public show of the flamboyant drama.
“I was fully prepared and so was the cast and crew. I knew Lawrence Foster’s orchestra would cement whatever breaches had occurred on the opening night,” he said.
The response stunned Sanjay. “Nothing had prepared me for this. The audience was swept into the thunderous tale as much as I was when I took charge. They responded to the drama, music, pathos and passion and they just wouldn’t stop clapping at the end,” he said.
- Kirron walks the ramp, adds film flavour (With Images) - Aug 05, 2012
- Cocktail sari for Gaga - if only! - Oct 28, 2011
- Katrina Kaif To Be Seen In A Retro Look In 'Tees Maar Khan' - Nov 15, 2010
- Ritu Kumar brings royalty on ramp with Sharmila, Soha - Dec 04, 2010
- Old-time extras back on screen with 'Mutton song' - Apr 20, 2011
- Kolkata Fashion Week at par with Delhi, Mumbai events: Minissha Lamba - Sep 12, 2009
- Itsy-bitsy cholis spice up Bollywood (Feature) - Dec 03, 2011
- From traditional to sexy, blouses get retro makeover - Aug 17, 2011
- Monapali's tribal creations captivate Kolkata Fashion Week - Sep 12, 2009
- Esha Deol wants to be a 'runaway bride' - Mar 27, 2010
- Sanjay Bhansali's opera now goes to Italy - May 17, 2008
- Bhansali not adapting 'Padmavati' opera in movie - Mar 15, 2011
- Jaya Rathore explores heritage weaves for bridal line (With images) - Aug 18, 2011
- Preeti Desai dazzles in white lehenga choli for Anita Dongre - Aug 06, 2012
- The drape is reborn - sari gets sexy avatar (With Image) - Mar 01, 2012
Tags: adaptation, blouse, breaches, cast and crew, creative victory, drama music, elephants, ghagra, heroine, honour, mumbai, padmavati, pathos, sanjay bhansali, sanjay leela bhansali, skirts, standing ovation, subhash k jha, theatre du chatelet, valour