Samba village defence committees intensify night patrollingMay 13th, 2008 - 5:34 pm ICT by admin
Samba (Jammu and Kashmir), May 13 (ANI): Days after an encounter between the Border Security Force and militants at Samba, Village Defence Committees (VCD) and the police have intensified night patrolling in border hamlets to prevent militants from hiding in the area.
“While three heavily armed militants were eliminated, seven others are still hiding in Samba and in adjoining forest belts and are waiting to strike at some places,” sources said.
Over 47 VDC committees have been trained by army troops in the handling of 303 rifles, setting up of ambushes, developing of intelligence inputs and monitoring activities.
Some ex-service men who were trained in counter insurgency warfare, have also joined the VDCs and are carrying out patrolling and night area domination in their respective border villages, sources said.
Members armed with 303 rifles and led by VDC head Makkar Ram have been patrolling the Kaily Mandi hamlet and entry points of villages since Monday.
The VDC members along with the police are also patrolling Baingallard, Ramgarh, Nanga, Regal, Mangral and Sangral areas during night.
A group of ten militants had infiltrated into Indian territory after a fierce firefight in the Baingalllar border belt on Friday. (ANI)
- Jammu and Kashmir Police takes stock of village defence committees - Sep 07, 2012
- BSF trooper killed in cross border firing in Jammu - Aug 17, 2012
- Jammu villagers being trained to curb infiltration - May 21, 2010
- 475 special police officers killed in Kashmir militancy - Mar 31, 2012
- J-K Village Defence Committee members on high alert - Apr 10, 2010
- Security forces train Kashmiri villagers to combat infiltration bids - Jun 13, 2010
- Infiltration bid foiled by security forces in Jammu - May 01, 2010
- Security forces foil infiltration bid in Jammu region - May 01, 2010
- Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firing - Aug 07, 2012
- Arms seized in Manipur District - Feb 01, 2011
- BSF foils infiltration bid in Pargwal sector of Akhnoor near Jammu - Jan 09, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani forces exchange fire, infiltration foiled (Second Lead) - May 01, 2010
- Four guerrillas killed in Kashmir (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- Infiltration bid foiled, Pakistan opens fire at the Jammu and Kashmir border - Dec 22, 2009
- Tunnel incident against India-Pakistan CBMs - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: 303 rifles, army troops, belts, border security force, border villages, defence committees, domination, encounter, firefight, hamlet, hamlets, indian territory, jammu and kashmir, kaily, kashmir, militants, samba, sangral, service men, vcd