Salman to help rehabilitate child soldiers in Sri LankaMay 12th, 2010 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, May 12 (IANS) The International Indian Film Academy (IIFA) will hold a charity match between Indian celebrities and Sri Lankan cricketers here in June to help rehabilitate former Tamil Tiger child soldiers.
The event will be held in conjunction with the Sri Lankan cricket board, NGO Habitat for Humanity and UNICEF. Bollywood star Salman Khan will be the brand ambassador for the initiative.
“We will help to invest to make homes in Jaffna. I love you guys and I will help you soon,” the actor said at a press meet here.
This year IIFA awards will be held June 3-5 in Colombo. The charity match will take place during the three-day event.
The proceeds from the match will be used to help rehabilitate children who once fought in the ranks of the now decimated Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
IIFA, in partnership with Habitat for Humanity, also plans to adopt and rebuild a village populated by those displaced by the war.
Salman said he supported IIFA’s initiative that aims to help Sri Lankan people who have suffered on account of the long drawn out war that ended in a military victory for Colombo in May last year.
“I am happy to be an ‘Ambassador of Change’ and believe that it is crucial to make a difference and contribute to this worthy cause,” he said.
Sabbas Joseph, director of Wizcraft, told IANS: “We thought if we are holding IIFA in Sri Lanka, then we must partner with that country. We must see what we can do for the refugees.”
- Bollywood stars stand by decision to be in Colombo - Jun 04, 2010
- Hrithik, Suniel to lead IIFA teams against Sri Lankan cricketers - May 30, 2010
- Shah Rukh to perform at IIFA this year - May 20, 2010
- IIFA Holds Charity Cricket Match Led By Hrithik And Suniel Shetty - May 31, 2010
- 'IIFA good for India-Sri Lanka relations' - May 30, 2010
- 'IIFA good for India-Sri Lanka relations' (Lead) - May 30, 2010
- Sri Lankan team knocks out Bollywood stars in charity matches - Jun 04, 2010
- IIFA to be held in Colombo, no change in venue - May 29, 2010
- IIFA comes at a critical moment for Sri Lanka: Jacqueline Fernandez (Interview) - Jun 01, 2010
- Sri Lanka to free more Tamil rebels - Nov 17, 2011
- Anil Kapoor may premiere 'Aisha' at IIFA - May 20, 2010
- US to remain engaged with Sri Lanka, says envoy - Jul 04, 2012
- India opens consulate in Jaffna, launches Northern Railway line (Lead) - Nov 27, 2010
- Human rights body protests atrocities on Lankan Tamils - Apr 05, 2012
- Film stars, celebrities arrive for 11th IIFA Awards in Colombo - Jun 03, 2010
Tags: child soldiers, colombo, cricket board, film academy, habitat for humanity, indian celebrities, indian film, jaffna, june 3, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, military victory, ngo, salman khan, sri lankan cricket, sri lankan people, star salman khan, tamil tiger, tiger child, unicef, worthy cause