Salman Khan Pledges Bone Marrow For Marrow Donor Registry (India)November 18th, 2010 - 3:00 pm ICT by Sampurn Wire
November 18, 2010 (Showbiz PR Wire): Healthcare is a key focus area for Being Human: The Salman Khan Foundation.
Being Human has joined hands with the Marrow Donor Registry (India) to create awareness of how marrow donors can save lives. The aim of the initiative is to develop a large pool of voluntary marrow donors for transplants that are life saving to patients suffering from blood cancer, thalassemia, aplastic anemia, congenital immunodeficiency states and other such blood related diseases.
Any patient who requires a bone marrow transplant and does not have an HLA-matched donor (within his/her family) will need to search international registries for a potential donor. Explaining the urgent need for awareness, the MDRI spokesperson said “Salman Khan’s Being Human joining hands with the MDRI will enable patients here in India to undergo this life saving procedure. Since Indians are poorly represented in these international registries, chances of finding an HLA matched unrelated donor are very small. To add to that the cost of procuring these stem cells from international registries is about Rs 15-20 lakh. We could save substantially on these costs if the MDRI were to be functional –chances of finding a match will be higher and the cost of transplant would also decrease.”
Salman Khan said “Donating marrow is a simple act, it’s as simple as donating blood. But this simple act can save the life of someone suffering from blood cancer, thalassemia and other major blood-related diseases. I am pledging my marrow today with MDRI so that in an emergency, if a patient’s sample matches mine, I can be reached to donate my marrow. The more the donors, the more lives we save. So I urge that all of you who are blessed with good health come forward and pledge your marrow so that the less fortunate can benefit from this thoughtful act.”
About MDRI (Marrow Donor Registry India): With the purpose of developing a registry of committed ,voluntary, unrelated donors for patients requiring bone marrow transplantation -MDRI was established in April 2008 as an NGO at the Tata Memorial Centre . What makes the MDRI functional?-More than 100,000 donors need to be registered to have a functionally viable donor registry.-All men and women between the ages 18-50 years who are free of any illness will be eligible for donor recruitment.
–Showbiz PR Wire
- Salman pledges bone marrow to help patients - Nov 12, 2010
- Salman Khan to donate his bone marrow - Nov 14, 2010
- Salman Khan In Charity Mode Again, Donates Bone Marrow - Nov 16, 2010
- Salman's Being Human to help create bone marrow registry (Movie snippets) - Mar 06, 2011
- Pak businessman is Delhi's first marrow transplant case from unrelated donor - Sep 17, 2012
- Stem cell transplant cheap in India, but very few centres - Jan 01, 2011
- Awareness is key to prevent thalassemia - May 06, 2012
- Iraqi woman gets new life with bone marrow transplant in India - Sep 23, 2010
- Decide soon on woman's liver transplant plea, court asks government - Jun 15, 2012
- Mechanism behind organ transplant rejection uncovered - Nov 19, 2010
- Organ donors need to know outcomes of surgery: Court - Aug 19, 2012
- Two Sri Lankan families swap livers for transplant - Jun 07, 2011
- Chinese moms to donate liver to each other's kids - Sep 12, 2012
- Oz kidney buyers giving China's 'transplant tourism' a boost - Feb 06, 2011
- Delhi homemaker gets new heart - May 31, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,