Saif in trouble for assaulting South African (Second Lead)February 22nd, 2012 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 22 (IANS) Bollywood actor Saif Ali Khan was in trouble Wednesday after a South African businessman accused him of abusing and hitting him and his father-in-law at a five-star hotel here.
Police, who failed to trace Saif at his Bandra house Wednesday afternoon, later found him at his actress-girlfriend Kareena Kapoor’s residence, a police officer said.
Police said a case of assault had been registered against the Bollywood actor at the Colaba police station.
Despite speculation that Saif would be brought to the police station, nothing happened for hours. Meanwhile, army of reporters assembled outside the police station and some even parked themselves outside Saif’s residence.
The victim, Iqbal Sharma, who is of Indian origin, told TimesNow television that Saif called him an “idiot” for complaining about the actor’s loud conduct at a restaurant in the Taj Mahal Hotel.
Sharma said he and his family had requested the restaurant manager to ask Saif and his friends, which included Kareena, Amrita Arora and Malaika Arora Khan, to keep their voices down.
Sharma said he and his family decided to move to another part of the restaurant downstairs.
“As we were going down the stairs, Saif was coming up, probably from the toilet. As he passed me, he called me an idiot and asked ‘Do you know who I am?’”
Sharma said the actor first pushed him and then assaulted his father-in-law who fell on the stairs and bruised his jaw.
“It was an uncivilized way to behave in a public space,” Sharma said, adding that he intended to pursue the matter legally.
A police officer confirmed that Sharma and his guests had objected to the noise created by Saif and his friends.
The incident occurred shortly after midnight Tuesday.
Assistant Commissioner of Police Iqbal Shaikh declined to say if the actor would be arrested.
Saif has been involved in public spats earlier too, including some photojournalists in Patiala in September 2008.
The actor has won the Padma Shri award, which did not go down well with the Bishnoi community in Rajasthan as he is accused of killing a blackbuck — an animal the Bishnois hold sacred. Saif was charged with poaching as the blackbuck is on the endangered list.
- Saif in trouble for assaulting South African (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Saif Ali Khan arrested, released on bail (Third Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Saif Ali Khan arrested, released on bail (Fourth Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Saif is sorry, says he was provoked (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- My friends were abused, I was assaulted: Saif - Feb 22, 2012
- I could have used 'Gandhigiri': Saif - Feb 23, 2012
- 'Nawab' Saif's bad boy behaviour continues - Feb 22, 2012
- Salman supports Saif, says media was biased - Feb 24, 2012
- Saif Ali Khan booked for assaulting patron in Taj hotel - Feb 22, 2012
- Bollywood mum over Saif-Sharma brawl - Feb 23, 2012
- Saif apologises, says brawl no publicity stunt - Feb 23, 2012
- Why do celebs lose their cool? Status-linked ego, say experts - Feb 25, 2012
- Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor: Not Too Pleased With The Spoof In Toonpur - Dec 18, 2010
- Salman told to appear in court in poaching case (Lead) - Aug 10, 2011
- Bollywood Glitz And Glamour At Umang 2010 - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: actor saif ali khan, amrita arora, assistant commissioner, bandra, commissioner of police, indian origin, kareena kapoor, malaika arora, malaika arora khan, patiala, photojournalists, police officer, police station, public space, saif ali khan, spats, star hotel, taj mahal, taj mahal hotel, wednesday afternoon