Saif Ali Khan questioned in car import caseSeptember 8th, 2012 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 8 (IANS) The Enforcement Directorate (ED) Saturday questioned actor Saif Ali Khan in an eight-year-old case of importing a high-end car from Dubai, an official said.
The official said Saif was called in for questioning and his statement on the the mode of payment and the car’s subsequent transfer to India recorded.
The case goes back to 2004 when the actor had allegedly purchased a Toyota Land Cruiser from Dubai. The car was however, imported to India under the transfer of residence rules by a Kerala resident named Kolangara Mohammad.
The customs department, which was initially investigating the case, maintained it has reasons to believe that Mohammad could not afford such a car. The customs’ special investigation and intelligence branch felt that the transfer of residence rule was allegedly misused in the case.
In 2006, the customs had roped in the ED after they found that a large sum of money was withdrawn from a bank account in Mumbai, which allegedly belonged to the actor.
- Saif Ali Khan booked for assaulting patron in Taj hotel - Feb 22, 2012
- Plea for CBI probe into corporate ministry theft (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Hasan Ali's associate sent to ED custody till March 30 (Lead) - Mar 24, 2011
- Court adjourns hearing on ED's plea in Jagan, OMC cases - Jun 07, 2012
- Budget impact: Toyota Kirloskar to increase prices - Mar 16, 2012
- Hasan Ali's wife told to face investigators - Jul 04, 2011
- CBI probe against Naidu suspended for now (Lead) - Dec 13, 2011
- Bollywood mum over Saif-Sharma brawl - Feb 23, 2012
- Enforcement Directorate questions tax evader Hasan Ali Khan - Mar 07, 2011
- Hasan Ali associate arrested - Mar 24, 2011
Tags: actor saif ali khan, car import, customs department, enforcement directorate, India, intelligence branch, land cruiser, mohammad, old case, saif ali khan, sum of money, toyota, toyota land cruiser