Sahara confirms MGM rescue bidSeptember 21st, 2010 - 1:55 am ICT by IANS
Los Angeles, Sep 21 (DPA) Indian conglomerate Sahara India Pariwar has confirmed its bid to rescue debt-laden MGM, the fabled Hollywood studio behind classics such as “James Bond” and “Gone With The Wind”, according to the Hollywood Reporter Monday.
Sahara is in talks to acquire the company in a bid of around $2 billion.
According to the Bloomberg financial news agency, the Sahara bid includes an element of financial support by the Brocolli family, the legendary producers of the James Bond movies and co-owners with MGM of the James Bond franchise. The report said the Brocolli family would receive an undisclosed equity stake in MGM if the bid succeeds.
“On mutual interest, discussions are on, but it is too early to comment on the issue,” Sahara India Pariwar head of corporate communications Abhijit Sarkar said in an email statement confirming the MGM bid.
MGM is currently controlled by creditors and hedge funds that bought the studio’s 4-billion-dollar debt from banks for around $2.4 billion, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
In addition to talks with Sahara, the creditors are conducting negotiations with other interested parties including Time-Warner and Spyglass Entertainment.
MGM’s huge debt burden and its financial instability have led to the postponement of numerous movies to which it owns the rights, including the next James Bond movie and two Hobbit movies that are prequels to the blockbuster “Lord of the Rings” series.
- Latest James Bond film back on track? - Sep 17, 2010
- Craig to return to screens as James Bond with MGM close to sealing deal - Aug 13, 2010
- New Bond Movie Likely To Start With Daniel Craig - Aug 13, 2010
- James Bond returns? - Sep 18, 2010
- James Bond Movie Cancelled Owing To Production Issues - Jul 07, 2010
- Sony Pictures to release the next James Bond movie - Apr 15, 2011
- 007 could get Bollywood-style makeover - Jan 17, 2010
- Daniel Craig says he is 'ready and willing' for new Bond film - Aug 16, 2010
- New Bond Movie Canceled Owing To MGM's Financial Woes - Jul 10, 2010
- New James Bond film to release next year - Jan 12, 2011
- Latest 'James Bond' Movie Canceled Due To Financial Troubles At MGM - Jul 10, 2010
- 'Curse of The Hobbit' strikes again as fire destroys workshop set - Oct 02, 2010
- Filming of 'James Bond 23' Movie Canceled Due To MGM Bankruptcy - Jul 07, 2010
- 'Hobbit' director Guillermo del Toro quits from the prequel to 'Lord of the Rings' - Jun 01, 2010
- Production of 'James Bond' movie suspended 'indefinitely' - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: blockbuster, bloomberg financial news, debt burden, dollar debt, equity stake, fabled hollywood, financial instability, hollywood reporter, hollywood studio, james bond franchise, james bond movies, legendary producers, lord of the rings series, mutual interest, next james bond, next james bond movie, other interested parties, sahara india pariwar, spyglass entertainment, undisclosed equity