‘Saas Bahu Aur Sensex’ - a good concept gone awry (Film Review - Rating: **)September 21st, 2008 - 4:37 pm ICT by IANS
Film: “Saas Bahu Aur Sensex”; Cast: Farooque Shaikh, Kirron Kher, Tanushree Dutta, Masumeh Makhija, Lillete Dubey, Sharon Prabhakar; Director: Shona Urvashi; Rating: **To be fair, putting together saas-bahu sagas and the sensex seems a good concept, but director Shona Urvashi fails to use it effectively in her film.
In recent years, Bollywood has been generous to directors who experimented with novel concepts and the audiences too accepted their films. “Saas Bahu Aur Sensex” dares to be different as it tells the story of middle-class housewives playing the stock market.
The film has its moments but not sufficient to make it engrossing fare.
“Saas Bahu Aur Sensex” is the story of a rude and insensitive Parsi stockbroker Firoze Sethna (Farooque Shaikh), divorced Binita Sen (Kirron Kher) and a group of women.
The director inter-weaves a love triangle into the main plot.
Nitya (Tanushree Dutta), Binita’s daughter, shifts to Mumbai with her mother and meets Ritesh (Ankur Khanna) who helps her in getting a job at a call centre. Ritesh is in love with Kirti (Masumeh Makhija) who lives in the same society. But Kirti has other plans, she wants to marry a millionaire.
Despite the presence of the two veteran actors, Kirron and Farooque, the film fails to hold the audiences’ attention. The reason being that the director fails to execute the story deftly and characters aren’t properly etched.
Farooque, who had almost disappeared from the big screen, chose a wrong movie to make his comeback. As far as Kirron goes, in the recent past she has chosen all the wrong films and her talent is not utilised in this film either.
Tanushree provides the oomph content, but neither she nor Masumeh, who was in Shona’s first film “Chup Ke Se!”, impress.
Others like Lillete Dubey, Sharon Prabhakar are wasted too.
In short, the film is a failed attempt to make the saas-bahu and sensex topics into a heady mix.
- 'Saas, Bahu Aur Sensex' - a paradox to India's dark side - Sep 18, 2008
- Farouque Shaikh, script are the USP of 'Saas Bahu Aur Sensex' - Aug 29, 2008
- Tanushree Dutta has no confidence in director Shona Urvashi - Aug 26, 2008
- My films are geuninely European: Masumeh - Sep 02, 2008
- I've no energy to make films: Farooque Sheikh (Interview) - Jan 21, 2011
- 'Saas, Bahu Aur Sensex' songs uninteresting (IANS Music Review) - Sep 17, 2008
- Saurabh Shukla defends adult content in films - Aug 10, 2012
- Dolly Ahluwalia had apprehensions over 'Vicky Donor' drinking act - Apr 28, 2012
- My productions are not gender-biased: Ekta Kapoor - Dec 08, 2011
- Sequel fever hits small screen - Feb 26, 2011
- Reality shows thrive on emotions: Apurv Agnihotri - Jun 03, 2012
- No saas-bahu dramas for me: Rati Pandey (With Images) - Jan 02, 2012
- Watch 'Delhi In A Day', a complete package (IANS Movie Review) - Aug 23, 2012
- 'The Breaking Dawn Part 1' melodramatic, sloppy (IANS Movie Review - Rating:**) - Nov 24, 2011
- 'Where goddesses are worshipped, women are treated badly' (With Image) - Jan 31, 2012