Russias Lake Baikal still facing contamination threat: StudyMarch 25th, 2008 - 4:50 pm ICT by admin
Washington, Mar 25 (ANI): Despite continuous efforts to save Lake Baikal, the worlds largest and oldest body of fresh water from contamination, a new study has found that the lake still faces a huge threat of water pollution.
According to the article, Lake Baikal is the worlds deepest lake and is a habitat of more than 1,500 species found nowhere else on earth. It also holds 20 percent of the worlds unfrozen freshwater.
However, compared to other areas in the world such as North America and Western Europe, less is known about the regional contamination to plant and animal life from compounds called perfluorochemicals (PFCs).
The team of researchers led by Hisato Itawa calculated PFCs levels in the livers and sera of Baikal seals, the only entirely freshwater seal species in the world.
They compared it with the levels recorded in 1992. The findings revealed that several chemicals were elevated to indicate an ongoing source of contamination in the lake.
Given these results, continuous monitoring of PFCs as well as dioxin-like compounds in Baikal seals is necessary to assess potential biological effects of PFCs, said the report. (ANI)
- Congo Wants Russian Involvement In Lake Tanganyika Research - Jul 13, 2009
- Russian mini-subs to repeat dive in world's deepest lake - Feb 26, 2010
- Increasing pollution levels choking India's lakes - Sep 29, 2011
- Women exposed to PFCs have obese babies - Sep 02, 2012
- Exposure to chemicals in environment liked to onset of early menopause - Mar 24, 2011
- Banned pesticide found in human milk - Sep 14, 2011
- Chinese scientists research largest freshwater lake - Aug 03, 2012
- Cameron celebrates 56th b'day by diving to bottom of world's deepest lake - Aug 17, 2010
- Climate change threatens Siberian lake's ecological balance - May 01, 2009
- Time to focus on freshwater fish, is India listening? - Oct 25, 2010
- China to save lake in desert - May 15, 2012
- European Commission takes Greece to court for lake pollution - Jan 28, 2011
- 40,000 relocated as China braces for floods - Jul 29, 2012
- Four die in Pakistan from deadly amoebic infection - Jul 22, 2012
- Mississippi river could fight Gulf oil spill - Jun 18, 2010
Tags: animal life, biological effects, chemicals, compounds, continuous efforts, dioxin, earth, fresh water, lake baikal, livers, north america, pfcs, russias lake, seal species, seals, source of contamination, water pollution, western europe, worlds deepest lake