Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman to raise funds for bushfire victimsFebruary 12th, 2009 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 12 (ANI): Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban have united to support Nine Network’’s national telethon that aims at raising funds for Victorian fire victims.
These celebrities will be among more than 150 leading politicians, musicians, actors and sports stars to feature in Australia Unites - The Victorian Bushfire Appeal, which will air on Channel 9.
Nine is hoping to raise millions of dollars, with funds to go to the Red Cross Bush Fire Appeal, which has already raised about 50 million dollars through donations from individuals and companies.
Miranda Kerr and her boyfriend Hollywood star Orlando Bloom and Australian actors Hugh Jackman, Anthony La Paglia, Rachel Griffiths and Simon Baker are other celebrities involved in Nine Network’’s national telethon.
Politicians include Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Victorian Premier John Brumby.
Also joining the cause is the Australian cricket team, Shane Warne, radio stars Hamish and Andy, Underbelly stars Kate Ritchie and Roy Billing.
Olympians Cathy Freeman, Liesel Jones and Grant Hackett will also join AFL and rugby league players to represent sports stars.
The performers include the Living End, Jessica Mauboy, Jimmy Barnes, Lee Kernaghan, Shannon Noll, Kate Ceberano, and John Williamson.
Eddie McGuire will host the event, which will feature personalities Lisa Wilkinson, Karl Stefanovic, Tracy Grimshaw and Leila McKinnon reporting from fire-ravaged areas.
Nine chief executive David Gyngell said he had been blown away by the support.
“The sports and entertainment industries have a fine tradition of pulling together when needed, but the level of support for Australia Unites is unprecedented and we thank everyone for their involvement,” Herald Sun quoted Gyngell, as saying. (ANI)
- Michael Clarke to attend Derby Day - Apr 09, 2010
- Commonwealth appoints special envoy to Maldives - Mar 02, 2012
- British forces could leave Afghanistan next year - Jul 21, 2010
- Sanjay Dutt, Sachin Tendulkar come together for cause - Sep 15, 2011
- Vietnamese man to be freed soon from his 90-kilo tumor - Jan 05, 2012
- Lisa Blount of 'Officer and a Gentleman' Dies Age 53 - Oct 28, 2010
- Deborra-Lee Furness is first star to be celebrated on 'This is Your Life' - Feb 22, 2011
- Australia mourns bushfire victims - Feb 22, 2009
- Celebrities Make 'Stand Up To Cancer' Telethon A Grand Success - Sep 11, 2010
- Oscar-Winning Actress Lisa Blount Dies At 53 - Oct 29, 2010
- 'Lord of the Rings' star Billy Boyd ties the knot - Dec 30, 2010
- 'Officer and a Gentleman' star Lisa Blount dies at 53 - Oct 29, 2010
- Channel 9 to fight for survival of 50-over cricket in Australia - Feb 11, 2010
- Victoria bush fires: Man arrested for Gippsland fire - Feb 13, 2009
- Kate Ceberano calls Tom Cruise her idol - Aug 10, 2009
Tags: anthony la paglia, australian cricket team, cathy freeman, fire appeal, grant hackett, hamish and andy, john brumby, karl stefanovic, kevin rudd, lee kernaghan, leila mckinnon, liesel jones, lisa wilkinson, miranda kerr, national telethon, nicole kidman and keith urban, orlando bloom, rugby league players, shane warne, tracy grimshaw